Friday, April 11, 2014

More Projects Completed

Irene had a tree at our house that she picked out at a nursery last year.  It's a Golden Monterrey Cypress, a plant that is used in planters in these parts. She has pampered it and trimmed it.  She named it Tree-y. It spent the winter in the greenhouse.

This year I thought it would be the perfect centerpiece for a pot for the front porch of their new house. Irene wasn't so sure it should move, but last Friday I got her involved in planting it into a bigger pot, with some companions.



Yesterday, while Jill and the kids were ending their trip to Disneyland, we took it over and placed it on the porch.
 The day before we were over preparing the porch.  See those stone squares under the pot?  That was a planting hole in the concrete which was just an eyesore and not good for planting in.  Tom filled it with gravel, topped with sand, and then placed the stone that had been recycled for someone else project. 
Also for Jill and family was the table project.  She had an old oak table that had served several members and generations of the family over the years.  It was decided to make a coffee table out of it. To try it out, the top was removed from the base and was sitting on cardboard packing boxes since early November.  I said it was time to get that project done!

Tom cut down the base and I decided I could handle refinishing the top. I stripped it with a soy based stripper, then stained/dyed it.


Then over several days I applied a layer of shellac and three coats of Varathane, and finally a layer of paste wax.  Tom is the expert on this stuff, so I just followed directions.
I refreshed the finish on the rim and the base, and then yesterday  morning it was ready to go.
Oh, oh.  Hundred year old bolts don't match up with new nuts.
 Several trips to the hardware store later, the project was finally complete.
 There were a dish of Easter M&Ms and a few tulips from our garden to welcome the travelers home.
We picked them up from the airport about 8:00 and delivered them to their home.  All of the new additions were approved and admired.
And the travelers?  Well, they had just the most wonderful time!

13 comments:

  1. The kids are getting so tall! You did a great job on the table. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. Both the tree planting and the table. I like that your grand kids are following in the family traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a stunning table and the tree looks perfect there. I really like that pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That coffee table is beautiful! Well done! Irene's planting looks very pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful coffee table. You two are very creative. Everyone will want you to come to their house ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a beautiful job with both the tree and table! I cut down a nearly identical table to use as a coffee table myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I am heading up to the city to help level and re-seed my son's backyard, I can appreciate the work we do for those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys have been busy. I love that table. It goes well with the other furniture. And good job with the tree, Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything that you two can't do? The pot is beautiful...so is the table! I know I've said this before, but you have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll say it again, "Will you two adopt me?" Really, this was such a great gesture. I love the table and the tree-y is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm totally blown away! That table is just so perfect. I'm with Sally. I want you to adopt me too.

    I see you're helping to raise Irene to be a first class gardener too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.