Monday, August 28, 2017

Vancouver BC Part 3: Queen Elizabeth Park - The Quarry Garden

Many years ago we first discovered The Quarry Garden at Queen Elizabeth Park, with the Conservatory on the rim, the highest point in the city of Vancouver. Since that day the image has stuck with me, a smaller version of the famous Butchart Gardens on Vancouver island. 

The Quarry Garden is just a small part of this vast park, with arboretum and recreational opportunities, but it is this formal garden that draws us back.

We walked in from the parking lot to the gardens on the rim. 







 Looking down into the quarry.
Follow the path. Let's go down there!







 Standing here, I felt like I was in the pages of a Dr Seuss book. We found several more beds like this farther along. 





 A vivid memory of our first visit to this garden, over 40 years ago, was the gunnera along the path. It was the first time I had encountered this "dinosaur food" plant. It is much bigger now!



























 And then we followed another path back up to the rim, and back where we started. I could have walked the whole thing again, but we had another garden to visit.



10 comments:

  1. I loved the sculpted look of some of the displays. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each garden has it's own unique characteristics. As honolulu says, she likes the donuts. There must be a different name for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This on is beautiful too. A lot of the plants look huge. I love the high bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful use of different plants and texture...the succulents are a real treat for my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The Dr. Seuss beds were way cool and this whole garden is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a meticulous garden! Your Dr. Seuss description was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooohhh! It's fabulous and I never even knew it was there. Thanks for the great tour, Linda. That's a place I need to visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what an amazing journey along the path. Thank you for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We went in spring and it didn't seem as lush and incredible as your photos prove. There are such gorgeous photos, Linda.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.