Thursday, July 11, 2019

A Little Diversion

I have a lot on my mind. We are in the count down stage of our big celebration to be held here at Reeder Gardens in a week and a half. I have been making lists, contacting the caterer and party rental company, shopping for and buying supplies, making more lists, managing e-mail invites, tracking down non-respondents,  and we have been keeping up with the yard grooming as well as completing the big annual holly hedge pruning job. Tom gets the brunt of that job. 

Yesterday I spent the day baking, making brownies and Russian Tea cakes, while it rained outside all day. We are planning for about 70 guests, so I made a lot.  I'll order the cakes next week. 

By late afternoon the rain was letting up, so we decided to go over to the Des Moines Marina to check out the Summer Wednesday Farmer's Market at the Marina.
There wasn't much to the market, but we enjoyed walking around, talking to a few vendors, enjoying the fresh air and the scenery. 


 We walked out on the pier and watched the rain clouds approaching. 
 Tom had been texting back and forth with Jill about a project at her house. We told her we were going out to dinner next, at a nearby Chinese restaurant.  She and Isaac decided to join us. Irene was away with friends. So we enjoyed an impromptu family dinner together, catching up with their travels and adventures.  Oh, I guess I should mention that Isaac spent most of a week in Costa Rica and Jill climbed Mt Shasta in California last Sunday. Here she is at 14,100 feet on on the summit. 
 When we left the restaurant, the latest squall had let up, and a faint rainbow lingered just long enough to give me a spirit lift. 
Rainbows are fleeting things. 

9 comments:

  1. Wow! You have a lot to organize and get ready for next week. I don't think I even know 30 people let alone 70 that I could invite to a "do". Hope you have great weather for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at how much you get done in a day. where does all the energy come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised with a very strong work ethic. My mother's motto, ingrained in us, was ," Whatever you do, do it the best you can."

      Delete
  3. wow rain, what is that? we ha 105 degrees today and no rain! Summer is here. Those berries look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do sound busy, but for you, that's nothing new. I'm sure your event will go without a hitch. At least I hope so and am sending you my best thoughts for it to go well. I look forward to the pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seventy guests??? I think I had a heart attack. You seem on top of things though and hope you have time for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are going to have a great time. I hope you get to enjoy all of your hard work. I know your garden is ready. It always looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those berries look great! Yeah Jill!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another full and delightful day with the Reeders!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.