Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Big 50/75 Celebration - July 20, 2019

You know the story, how we delayed our 50th Anniversary celebration from March to July in order to have a garden party. The July date also coincided with my 75th birthday three days earlier, and a bunch of other family birthdays.

Shortly after our March anniversary we began planning the big event. We secured a party rental company to supply tables, chairs, and big canopies to guard against weather issues, and we signed a contract with a caterer. Then I was supposed to relax for a while, but you know very well that didn't happen. 

A guest list was firmed up and Save the Date emails were sent out to extended family and old friends. Closer to the event date, email invitations were sent, and RSVPs began coming in. Now we were committed.

It all came together. On the morning of July 20th, the sky was blue, the forecast was for the high 70's, a breeze was ruffling the flags, and the flowers were blooming. 
The breeze make it a bit tricky to get the plastic table cloths taped down
 but then the help arrived to finish the job.
 The camera crew was in place with instructions to capture each of the guests as they arrived.



Jill was wonderful is seeing that our wishes were carried out, and we have photos of everyone. We'll show you just a few.

The teachers were the first to arrive, of course: Colleen, Jan, and Sue. There were more later. 

 My sister Laurie and my cousin Susan and Jim.
My brother Don and Sheree, out from Boston.
 Tom's brother Dave and Vicki, up from California.
 Tom's sister Jan and their cousin Dean and Sharon. 
 Tom's niece Julie and Dave, with Bryan and Sara, also up from California.
My cousin Kathy and Mike, from Oregon.
 My nephews Andy and Ben and Andy's boys, Larson and Oliver. There were cousins here for everyone. 
My niece Katie and her Hans and Hannah.
My sister Ilene, from Oregon.
This very special group includes teachers from way back in our Mount View Elementary days, where Tom and I met, fell in love, announced our engagement at Christmas time, and got married at spring break. They were with us 50 years ago when it all began: Jere', Mac and his wife Leone, and Judy. It was wonderful to re-unite them, both with us and with each other. 

People gathered at the beverage table on the patio, and looked at photos by the guest book. They collected in clumps in the garden. 











The the deck became the hang out place for the teens. 
Looks like they weren't all teens down there. Hi, Jake and Laurie.  
I never made it off the upper lawn myself.

After everyone had arrived I rang the cow bell to announce "Food" and that deck crew came running. Then we all ate. 





The guests were very helpful in busing there own tables and putting everything in the proper recycle/compost/trash bins. 

I rang that cow bell again to call everyone together. There I gave my  much worried over "speech".






I shared my birthday with other family members: BIL Dave's is the same day as mine, July 17th, my sister Laurie's was that very day, July 20, my brother Don's was the next day, July 21, my sister Ilene's is August 3rd, and niece Julie, an infant and the youngest guest at our wedding,  has a birthday on July 31st.  Happy Birthday to everyone!
Our Best Man, Dave, and Matron of Honor, Laurie, offered toasts. 
And then we ate cake! Katie and Jill and their daughters Hannah and Irene served the cake.
 Andy and Jake scoped the ice cream.

I walked away and left them to it. Isaac was on the job with his camera. 
There was a lot more visiting after that, but our work was done for now. 
This crew blended into their various age groups, and we all spent time catching up with siblings and  cousins and special guests.

It was a wonderful day, full of cherished memories, and well worth those three months of planning.

And now Tom and are just puttering about and taking it slow.  It's high summer and the livin' is easy. 

11 comments:

  1. Great pictures of a great day, surrounded with loved ones from near and far. Thank you so much for sharing it with your cyber family! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful party and such an amazing family

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you keep in contact with so many people and that you can all get together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A super highlight of your great life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful account of a truly amazing celebration. Congratulations on all that the celebration represents. You and Tom were a perfect match! I love how so many from your early teaching days and from your wedding were in attendance. Thank you for sharing it all with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you're glad now that it's over, but it looked like fun while it was going on. The build-up and prep to a big celebration can be nerve-wracking. It is amazing how you've kept in touch with so many people. Congrats to both of you and Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a marvelous day! And what a wonderful group you've gathered of family and friends. Wishing you many, many more years to enjoy each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an amazing party!! How neat that all the family attended to celebrate with you but friends from years ago were there also. A testiment to the kind of people you two are. Good that you have so many pictures to remember the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so blessed. Your garden is large enough to accommodate such a large group. I know everyone enjoyed being in such luxurious surroundings. The love nearly oozed off the page. It is always more work than anyone can imagine even if there are caterers and helpers. You and Tom deserve a nice long rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darn! I just typed a comment and it disappeared. I shall try again. Just wanted to offer our congratulations on your anniversary and birthday. What a perfectly awesome party you hosted. The photos will certainly provide memories forever. Art and I will celebrate our 50th in 4 years. No idea what we'll do though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and wonderful setting for the celebration. A belated congratulations!
    After seeing the post, I almost feel like I know your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.