Thursday, December 26, 2019

It Was A Good Family Christmas.

We were two of each generation, our immediate family, gathered together for Christmas Eve at "The Rents", as Jill and Jake call us, and Christmas Day at Jill's house. 

Christmas Eve:
The dining room was set for the feast to come. 
Jill and the kids were there early, but Jake had to work.  Tom wanted to make Tom and Jerrys for old time sake. Cheers!
 Tom and I had brandy in ours and we really like ours. The rest were not so sure. I think Tom and Jerrys will be left to "old times".

When the turkey was finally off the BBQ grill, we dined on smokey turkey and all the trimmings.

Clean up done, we gathered in front of the TV to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas. 

 The cookies were ready for enjoying as we played games. 
We lit the Christmas pyramid and listened to some favorite music. 
Everyone left at 9:00, Jill and Irene to go to church, Jake and Isaac to go to their homes to chill. "The Rents" had some Elf errands to run to arrange for secret deliveries. 

Christmas morning began at 9:00, when Santa's sleigh arrived (actually our purple minivan) .  Highlights:
 Boy with Legos ( Stocking were well stuffed))
 Cat on nest of gift wrapping
 Good breakfast.
 Relaxing.
 Before and after gift giving, which was bountiful and fun. 
 Irene wearing my vintage Norwegian sweater. I have had it, mostly stored away, for 50 years when it was a Christmas gift from my parents, and was happy to give it a new life. Irene really likes it. 
I had packed up all of the left overs from the night before, and along with lefse and cheese and crackers we had food available "on demand".  No more cooking. And of course there were more cookies. 

It was a very good Christmas. 

12 comments:

  1. Two beautiful Christmas parties! Both homes look so spiffy and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful tradition. I remember Tom and Jerrys but don't remember what's in them. Irene looks lovely in the sweater. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best gift of all is the time with our families. I'd say you had a couple of lovely days with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that looks like a fun day but not really stressful. I mean look at the mellow cat. That sweater was made for Irene. So glad you all had such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and lovely - your magic time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great family pics! Everything and everyone looks so festive. And that cat looks like he ate the turkey by himself... and is thoroughly needing a nap. You'all watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas", Deb's family watched "Klaus", and we watched the Downton Abbey movie...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good Christmas consists of a few key things. You had family , lots of good food and activities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stockings may be well stuffed, but so was the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great Christmas!! I don't know what a Tom and Jerry is but I'll bet it's tasty! We toasted Christmas with Mead this year.
    I guess you saw that Lee Mendelson died on Christmas Day. Kind of appropriate that he should die on the day he changed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christmas always looks so perfect at your house and with your family. I don't know how you get everything to look so pretty The table, the cookies. It all looks like a picture in a magazine, yet you all are relaxed and have fun. You're amazing! I love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your holiday get-together always make me smile. You are the most amazing cook and set the most gorgeous tables. And oh my gosh! Irene is a beautiful young lady. I still remember her as the most adorable, angelic little girl. The sweater is perfect on her!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.