Saturday, December 14, 2019

Lefse and Fatigmand, Yah, Sure.You Betcha'

I just got an update on my DNA report. and I'm more Norwegian and Swedish than ever. Yes, Mom, they did find a little German now, too. 

For quite a while I have been attracted to the Scandinavian Christmas traditions, including the food. I have been making potato lefse for many years and a few years ago I started making cardamom flavored Fatigmand.   The grand kids like these projects too, so on Friday afternoon they came over to help. 
I spend a lot of time rolling out the elastic dough. It has to be paper thin. I cut the strips.
Irene slips the end through the slit to make a bow.
Isaac fries them.
We're a team. Tom helps with set up, takes photos, and best of all, does clean up.
Tom also saw to it that the cooled cookies got dredged in powdered sugar. 
After cleaning up from the Fatigmand frying, we started in on the lefse. I made mashed potatoes with butter and cream the day before so the potatoes were fully chilled. I added just enough flour to make a dough, and shaped the dough into  balls.  Now I am back at the rolling pin, rolling the dough very thin, but making sure it doesn't stick or tear. Lots of flour is involved. 
Isaac checked out for a while, since no frying was involved. 
Irene lifted the thin rounds on to the griddle with a special stick. 
She has mastered the art of griddle flipping. 
Then Isaac came to take his turn. We made seventeen rounds in all.
Fifteen made it into the refrigerator for storing. Two we ate hot off the griddle, buttered and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Yum. 



11 comments:

  1. Those look so good! I've seen them in years past, but this year I think I must be hungry as I read this, because my tummy is actually growling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband likes lefsa...I would rather have a cookie! My daughter and son in law make it every year...this year they tried a gluten free edition...it was pretty good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun traditions and funner yet to have your family's help...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grand kids will remember this for a very long time. I quite often was given some of these at school. Many times the kids had made stuff with grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know much about Scandinavian cuisine, but what you and the grandkids made looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heat the water for tea...I will be right over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great traditions being created in your home. I love how Isaac and Irene get right in there and participate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, looks so good. It is so neat how your grands always dig right in. The traditions will stay in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I bet it smelled wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trezor 24/7 Support +1(833)993-0690 phone number

    Trezor is known for providing access to multiple coins and sometime due to connectivity, users get in such trouble and unable to handle queries call Trezor customer support number +1(833)993-0690. If you are unable to handle such worries and looking for ways to handle all such problems, you can always get assistance from the team of skilled professionals who are there to guide you. Reaching the team is an ideal decision as it helps in saving the time of users who are either a newcomer or holds less knowledge about the Trezor exchange.
    For more info: Trezor support phone number
    Trezor customer care number

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.