Saturday, March 14, 2020

Coffee in the Woods

Although it has been there for quite a few years from what I can tell, the Cafe In The Woods at the Mukilteo Coffee Roasters was a new discovery for us on Whidbey Island.  In fact I found out about it in the tourism section of a Sunday edition of the Seattle Times. And yet, it's only a short drive from our cabin. 
The cafe is an extension of the two large buildings that house the actual Mukilteo Coffee Roasting business. Their coffee is sold locally and in hundreds of stores and cafes in Hong Kong and China. 

We didn't know quite what to expect of this place far off the beaten path and were quite astonished at what we found. Some of these photos are mine and some are from the Cafe in the Woods website. 


The cafe wasn't busy, we explained that we were newbies, and the owner introduced himself and told us about some of the incredible salvaged local wood used in the cafe. We love old trees and old wood and we were in love. Below, those planks of wood on the wall are slices from that burl piece on the far right. 
 Notice the table tops. 

 This huge plank table with a fruit jar and hay loft elevator chandelier. 

 We sat in that side bay, away from other customers. I was still being cautious about exposure, to and from me. Still am, for that matter. 
 The coffee and shared giant chocolate chip cookie were good too. 
There is a patio in the back which I look forward to frequenting when the weather is warmer. 

 This was our final stop on the island for that trip. Our ride awaited us at the dock, along with a flotilla of beautiful Barrow's Goldeneyes. 
Here's what they look like close up.














That was a good ending to a short trip to the island, and it left was wanting to return soon, always a good thing. 

11 comments:

  1. Nice coffee shop. I would love to go there myself, but it's a long trip for coffee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! I'll bet the coffee was good. We have a coffee roasters around here that we found by accident. They are not nearly as big or as nice as Cafe in the Woods, but their coffee was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That eatery ha some serious atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite an impressive coffee shop. The plank table is quite something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a fun place to enjoy coffee and goodies and especially outside when weather warms...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting place and I love all the reuse of the wood. Now you have found it, you can enjoy it when ever you visit your home on the island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely cafe! I love the live edge wood. My brother has started building rustic furniture - one of his current pieces is a coffee table with a cut slab. It wouldn't fit my current home but I'm coveting it from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barrow's Goldeneye is a rare bird in my part of the country. There has been only 14 sightings in Indiana ever. I have been an avid birder for many years and have never seen on in my state. I haven't seen many anyplace. 1993 was the last sighting in IN.
    While I don't drink coffee (I know this is sacrilegious to some) I love the decor of this coffee shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute place to have coffee. Really pretty photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a beautiful coffee cafe and that IS a giant cookie! Wow! We're not allowed to dine-in anymore in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.