Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Violets

The violets are blooming!
That is especially meaningful to me because my mother's name was Violet. My mother lived to be outside working in the garden. She hated the darkness of winter and would have been the first to spot these tiny little blooms of spring. 
Violets are shy, rather like my mother, and you have to get down on the ground to see them properly, but then you can catch their wonderful sweet fragrance. 

They are no Brazen Hussies, like these bold little girls, who turn their faces to the sun. 
 Ranunculus ficaria 'Brazen Hussy'
But Violet does have friends.
 Primrose
 Saxafrage
Grape Hyacinths 
It's temping to want to pick Violets, because they are so pretty and smell so sweet. But I have learned not to. Violet doesn't like being plucked and brought inside. She withers and droops.
She wants to stay outside, planted in the dirt of her garden. 

7 comments:

  1. I hope to see these around town soon. We don't know what we are going to do about our Thursday hikes, maybe just break up into small groups. Finally the weather is nice enough to work outside. Yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww so sweet. I have lots of violets popping up everywhere but no blooms yet. I have always liked primroses but they don't do well here. Too hot and dry. I will just have to look at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just checking my Sweet Violets but no blooms yet. I love them to.
    Oh BTW: I read that the Tulip Festival was canceled but that was fake news and Roozengaard is a little upset someone is using their FB page to say wrong things. So both Roozengaard and Tulip Town will be open----well so far anyway
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those little yellow flowers Aconites? I planted some a few years ago hoping they would naturalize but alas this year only 3 or 4 came up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this rain and cooler temps are so good for wildflowers...they made me smile, too!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  6. The earth and her beauties are not canceled!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  7. And of course you know that's another thing we share in common. Mom loves violets too. Her father named her Violet because he loved the color and the flower represented humility for him.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.