Thursday, March 12, 2020

Whidbey Worry, Whidbey Wonderful

As I stated in my last post (and thank you for all of the comments), we did a bit of work in the cabin garden on that cold, windy Tuesday.  However, the clouds gave us a pretty 7:00 sunset.
 Wednesday looked much better, still chilly and windy, but beautiful blue sky!

The change in weather was great, but I woke up with a worry. My throat was slightly burning and my head was kind of fuzzy. Of course, I was also stiff and sore from the previous day's work. What was it? Did we make a mistake by going to the soccer match on Saturday? Did I have IT?

Given the symptoms, and lack of symptoms, I was pretty sure it was allergies, given all the wind driven pollen in the air. But could I be sure? I hate all of the paranoia surrounding the coronavirus. 

We continued on with our day's activities, but I was cautious about getting too close to anyone.

We needed to go to Langley to get our yard waste dumping permit  so we took the opportunity to stroll (walking fast was not even possible for me with my back so bent out of shape). Langley works at being pretty.
 One of the art galleries has refurbished this garden and created a sculpture garden. 
 It wasn't open, but we'll be back when it is. 

 Street plantings are lovely in spring.


 We sat for a few minutes enjoying the entry court at The Inn at Langley. 
 There was new signage in town. 

Of course there was a bunny. Langley is famous for their feral bunnies, probably escaped from the nearby fairgrounds. You know what bunnies are noted for. 






 After our stroll, we got our permit and drove to the waste water treatment plant where there is a place to dump yard waste which will be recycled into mulch. Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full. We emptied the bags, following the rules to only leave plant material. 
 On the way back to the cabin we stopped at Bayview Garden Center, where spring is arriving. 

 Pussy willow, fuzz and pollen.








Back at the cabin we finished up a few tasks, had a leisurely lunch, while reading on our phones the latest developments in the "plague". I was still worried, but worked on convincing myself that it was JUST ALLERGIES!

We made another stop in the afternoon, discovering a wonderful new place, but I'll post about that later. We got home, unpacked, and went to a very uncrowded Red Robin for dinner, distancing ourselves from the other patrons. Hand sanitizer was involved. :-)

Today I am plagued with a very stiff back but not the PLAGUE.  I think all is well, but we have decided to limit our outings to necessary trips, like to the grocery store.  All of our soccer games have been suspended, as have just about all other events. The governor has ordered all schools closed in a three county area, starting Monday. Jill and the grands will be rattling around home.  Many questions are yet to be answered. 

This is real now. And yet almost all of the deaths you have been hearing about occurred in nursing homes. We really don't know what is happening with healthy people. 

As of now, I am still OK. I have checked my temperature a couple of times.  No fever. All is good. 

14 comments:

  1. Glad that you are safe. Enjoy the breather! Here in Hawaii people are grabbing up toilet paper, water, and sanitizer items like we will never have them again. Longs (CVS) has put a 3 per person limit on certain things. It is better to be safe but some people are taking it to a rather selfish extreme.

    Good to know that schools are closed. My teacher daughter there will have a break from her studies and job and take it easy, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you do not have the virus. so little is known about this virus that we don't know what will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm very thankful that you don't have IT. I just heard on the news that our premier's wife has tested positive. They returned recently from the UK.
    Like you I am limiting myself to necessary shopping trips. DH continues to go to Gleaners where any day of the week between 50 and 700 older volunteers work in relative close contact. It is a concern.
    All the pictures of the beautiful flowers inspire me. I planted out a small area of Primroses and mini daffs today. I did cover them for night just in case they get too cold.
    Like you I get a stiff and sore back when I garden. When I came inside I had a cup of coffee to wash down my Ibuprofen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant our Prime minister, not premier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness you’re doing OK. It’s really spooky. Keeping our fingers crossed that we all come out of this safely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right. This is real now. The mayor of Kansas City declared it to be a state of emergency and they canceled the Big 12 Basketball Tournament and all the other sporting events as well as just about anything else going on around here. This is a big sports city and when they cancel these games I know something is really wrong. We stocked up on groceries today and are going to try to stay home as much as possible for now.

    Your pictures are just beautiful! I hope you are feeling better. Both of you be careful and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure wish it were possible for you to get a test, but apparently they are still not available for most of us. How in the world did this happen? I'm thinking you are not infected and am very sorry to hear about your back. I was really dragging yesterday on the long downhill when my back began to hurt. I'm fine now, though. Love all your bright and pretty pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read this and then have a think: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/03/panic-and-coronavirus-is-there-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. scary times, our church just cancelled all meetings on sundays and other days...some schools and universities are closed also. it's nerve wracky as I'm turning 80 this year which is way over the elderly designation of 60 plus. Only a few cases in utah but it can spread rapidly. Thanks for the joyous photos of spring and also cacti!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the lovely color. Spring is here.
    We are in uncharted waters these days and every ache and pain takes on new meaning.
    As long as your temperature is fine you are probably right about allergies. It is that time of year for them. I know you are going to miss your games--me too since MLB has postponed the start of our season also and spring training has been cancelled. Sigh. We will get though this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are okay! Such pretty photos of Langley and the area! Stay safe! Worrying takes lots of energy, I try not to waste my energy:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are okay, and please stay that way. All this is scary. I had no idea people were hoarding toilet paper, water, and other items until we stopped by Walmart this morning to get a few things. The toilet paper shelves were bare! Lots of the shelves were bare!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure have been busy. Love seeing all the little gardens here. Do take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to hear you're okay, it's a scary time right now.

    As I look out at this weekend's fresh snowfall, I'm grateful for your photos of spring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.