Thursday, March 5, 2020

How We Marched Fourth

Yesterday, March 4th, was Jill's birthday. She spent the day eating, as has been her habit sine her 40th birthday. I've posted about this before. She claims all the free food birthday offerings available. That means she has breakfast at Denney's and at IHOP, and then coffee and a doughnut at Krispy Creme, a burger and fries at Red Robin, a fancy coffee drink from Starbucks, ice cream from Baskin and Robin, and I think there was a cookie from Subway. I may have forgotten something. Obviously she takes the day off from work so she can drive around and claim all of this free food. She posted her eating journey on Facebook throughout the day. Here's some of it. 


While she was out we delivered to her house my gift of a bouquet of daffodils and a cherry pie, two of her favorite things. 

Her house is not far from the Des Moines Marina and the Des Moines Creek Trail. That's where we went next for our walk for the day. The sun was shining and our pace was slow, looking for signs of spring.

An eagle kept watch from high above.
 We started out on the fishing pier. 
Lichen encrusted pier railing.
 Ducks in the creek.
 Geese on the beach.
Magnolias are ready to burst open in gardens all over the area.
 In the wild areas, Salmon berry bushes are beginning to bloom.

 And red flowering current. 


 Indian Plum is in bloom and beginning to leaf out. 
 The first dandelions are opening. 
Back at the beach, I sat in the sun for a while before we headed back home, exercised and enriched by nature. 

 And then, because by now, the day after Super Tuesday, our choices were pretty much limited to two old white guys, we marked our mail in ballots for one of them. 
And today, on our Thursday walk, we dropped them in the postal box. What's done is done, with much more to come. 

14 comments:

  1. It is funny that even us elders want someone younger and different! What are those folks looking at on the shore/ Shells? Clams for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday, beach, birds and blossoms -- what a great way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You saw so much more spring than I did today. How Jill manages to keep her gorgeous figure is a mystery to me. And now we will choose one of the two old white guys and send in our ballots. I am sad it's come to this. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of good signs of spring. I like the smells that come with new leaves and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill has the right idea. Take the day off and eat all the wonderful food you love ( better tasting if it's free).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill really knows how to work a birthday. Wish we had free food offers here. Wish we had mail in ballots here. At my polling place, one of the workers was coughing up a lung. Don't know why she came to work so sick but so far, I am still well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jill's idea of free food. I've never thought of it, but I do take a "me" day on the anniversary of my birth. I spend the day as I please, though I must admit since retirement that's pretty much every day. I'll have to research and see what free food options are available here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to treat ones self on ones birthday. Ha... Sounds like something my SIL would do. I don' know she has been to DQ for her birthday. I wonder if she knows about the rest of the places. ha..
    Many people will be having to vote by ballot since they are closing so many places. Either that or people just won't vote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have spring!! In answer to your question yes a Ground Blizzard is snow that is already on the ground that blows around:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to Jill the all day eating girl---LOL
    Sounds like a fun day you all had.
    I see you went to the F&G show. When I worked at Emery's Garden we had a selling booth there. Our big seller was huge Star Gazer Lilies---about the size of an apple. I had fun there. My friend who also worked there---well we opened and closed there. I miss those times and Emery's folded a few years ago
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m quite disappointed that we’re stuck with “two old white guys” again. I really wanted Elizabeth Warren or Mayor Pete. Sigh... Ah well... We just need somebody to change our leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how fun to enjoy the outdoors in spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to Jill! I love that girl! She is so neat, and so fun loving, and so pretty. Such a pretty walk. Aren't you happy that spring is almost here!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.