Sunday, March 22, 2020

Escaping, Safely

We miss our Friday morning breakfast get-togethers. The sun was shining Friday and I was ready for a little escape.

The Highline Botanical Garden is a short drive from our house, and offered strolling opportunities just right for my still limited walking ability.

Well, now comes a confession. When we got there the garden sign said CLOSED! I said NO WAY! I unlatched the gate and said, "Let's go". Tom was uncertain of my lawlessness but came along. 

We had the garden to ourselves, and although not much is blooming now, it was still a very pleasant stroll. 
Hellebore and trillium along the shade path. 

Someone had added a bit of joy in decorated rocks stuck here and there. We found a few. 



The Japanese garden doesn't need flowers. 


Magnolias are beginning to bloom here. 









Friday evening there was a wonderful sunset. I walked far enough up the street to see it. 
On Saturday we practiced social distancing while working in Jill's yard. Tom can't resist saving every seedling and division he gets from our garden, and it was time to clean out his home nursery. Jill's yard always needs more plants.

Tom placed all of the plants and the kids did the digging and planting.

Jill weeded.
I puttered and then sat and talked to her so we could catch up.  She has realized the importance of social isolation and now has the job of convincing her kids of its necessity. Seventeen year old, social Isaac is having a hard time of it, but Jill will persist.

Stay well. The worst is yet to come. Find joy in small things. 

14 comments:

  1. Your daughter has such lovely hair. I am waiting until next year...waiting for the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add that you are like my husband who thinks nothing of breakingthe law!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you rebel! Good for you to get out in fresh air and sunshine. I think that is the healthiest thing we can do. I like to avoid crowds under the best of circumstances but I think I might have been intimidated by the closed sign. Still, it looked like the ideal walk for me.
    Most of my friends are telling me they are doing spring cleaning and yard work so at least our homes should benefit from this crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You surprise me with your lawlessness. :-) But well done, and thank you so much for the great pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rebel! Keep active. Stay safe. Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it is hard on the younger teenage generation. I hope that the worst will be over soon...but I probably have my head in the sand:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have had the place to yourself. Hope you were wearing masks in case they got you on security tapes:))
    I can see how the young are chaffing at the new rules. It is much easier on us older sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nigel and I are introverts, so it's easy for us to do the social distancing thing. It's pretty much been our way of life for years. Now we're just performing a more extreme version. I am glad I have him at home for comfort when I get anxious, though. How odd that the garden was closed, I've been getting emails from Lakewold that they are still open and encouraging people to come as long as they keep their distance from each other. There's lots of space there for that, of course, but it's much further from where you live, and you do still have to pay to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a rebel! I'm sure if they didn't want you in the garden they would have made it more difficult to get in the gate.

    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray for your lawlessness! Taking risks that will not endanger others or ourselves is worth the adventure. I have a feeling this lock down will result in a lot of home and yard improvement. Maybe that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like we're all finding things to do and walks to take while we wait for the world to go back to normal. Nice walk you were able to have in spite of the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mutineer!!!... I don't blame you. You have to take care of your mental health as well as your physical. It is nice to have family you can see and another place to work a little of your angst off. It looks so warm there. No coats required.

    ReplyDelete
  13. nothing like documenting your crime...lol~ looks like a lovely walk...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jill is so lucky to have you and Tom help with the garden and the kids. That garden is certainly bursting out in spring!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.