Thursday, August 25, 2022

Glacier Peak Wilderness Hiking With Jill

 Last week Jill and her hiking partner Steve set out to climb Glacier Peak. They allowed four days. It wasn't enough. 

Glacier Peak, at 10,541 ft, isn't the highest volcanic peak in Washington, but it is the most remote.  This is a pack in and camp hike. They went slower than Jill would have liked, but they gained 5000 ft elevation and 30 miles round trip. 

I'm sure Jill will want to attempt the actual climb to the summit sometime in the future, but for now they had an amazing hike, saw cool wildlife, and wonderful scenery. These are her photos.






Glacier Peak peeking tantalizingly from behind layers of mountains. 
Lots of Marmot sightings.




Mama marmot looking up at her baby. 

A mass of blue butterflies! And a couple of orange ones too. From what little research I did, I think they are Lupine butterflies, common name, not botanical, and they lay eggs on blue lupine flowers, which the caterpillars then eat. 


From mountain meadows up above to majestic trees down below, nature in the wilderness is a wonderful thing. 

And yes, like me, Jill is a tree hugger. 

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures! Sorry they didn't summit, but it looks like it was still a magnificent adventure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like quite an undertaking. Good for her ( and her companion). Great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to share these photos with my hiker son. That is some montainous terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What stunning views and loved the wild life. A bear?? Mercy. What a physically and mentally healthy venture. She can be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful views! But I would be scared of the bear. These little butterflies are incredible and such nice blue colour! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible views! Thanks to Jill for sharing them with you, so you could share them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved these pics too. Thanks for sharing, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the bear, looks like a Black Bear. I don't like bears. Looks like a wonderful hike for the young and strong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Jill is so athletic! I love all the wildlife photos and gorgeous scenery. I've never seen a marmot in the wild.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.