Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Summer Continues


 Yes, it's the last day of August, but the calendar says summer ends Sept. 22nd, so I'm going with that. 

Blue skies continue and it's warm, some say hot, still. 


We don't have a lot of crops this year, but the tomatoes are now plentiful and the basil crop is wonderful.


Yesterday I roasted the plum tomatoes that were ripe and made several pints of tomato sauce, flavored with homegrown basil and oregano. We are eating tomatoes with cottage cheese for lunch and sliced tomatoes or caprese salad for dinner. We have lots of tomatoes!

Today we made basil pesto.

There were several basketfuls of basil leaves and several hours of work to produce a bountiful supply of pesto.


I make it with basil, parmesan cheese, walnuts and olive oil, no garlic.  We are not garlic fans. We use it on pasta dishes. 

My yard is looking tired, typical late summer look. Here are a few more garden pics from our Saturday tour. 









12 comments:

  1. I have never tried pesto, not sure that we eat the right kind of pasta dishes for it...lasagna and spaghetti:) Those yellow daisy like flowers must be some kind of a Mum...they are very cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard looks lovely. Those big orange flowers are amazing; cala lilies? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stuff you're preparing sounds tasty. And it's made with your own produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sign of fall around here, no early hints of yellow or red on the trees so it feels like summer. Or Florida here in Vermont. I wonder what the plants are thinking about climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you have me craving tomatoes with cottage cheese. Haven't done that in ages. You certainly have a lovely stockpile of pesto. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It didn't feel as hot yesterday, and I'm hoping today will be the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gardens don't look spring fresh but they are still end of summer lovely.
    I've never eaten tomatoes with cottage cheese but will have to try it. I'm not keeping with my tomatoes either - time to turn them into something I can use this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have such a hard time planting tomatoes. Basil is easy, eggplant is relatively easy. But tomatoes just don't do well. I think it is too hot and I might start putting up shade tents. I don't recall seeing your pond before. I have tubs with lotus, water lilies, and a lot of duckweed to control the algae and keep the fish happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Pesto! I make it and pour into cupcake papers and then when they're frozen, I take them out of the pan and store them in a gallon zip lock. One cupcake size is about perfect for either rice or pasta as a side dish, or makes a great topping for pizza if you get tired of marinara.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such a nice spacious kitchen. And I notice you were able to stand and cook there despite your sore hip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today still felt very much like summer (32C) but tomorrow it's only forecast to be 23 so I'm hopeful.
    Tomatoes are ripening fast here too. I'm sure enjoying them!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I am so impressed. I've never tried to grow tomatoes here in Hawaii. Hmmm... Maybe we should give it a try. You would make my brother jealous. He used to grow basil at our house for pesto, but when we tried growing it again, it did not do well. You are both such talented gardeners.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.