Thursday, July 13, 2023

Seasons in the Sun

 

Seasons in the Sun - it's the title of, and a line from, an old song, but my garden made me think of it in a different way than the song suggests. 

As I walk around my garden I see what is beginning to bloom, what has finished, what is in bud, and what it was like in May and June and what will survive the heat of August and last into September. 

Now in July this wall of clematis and day lilies are in bloom and I am enjoying them very much. There used to be a lovely green hedge behind them, but construction next door gave us a pretty nice wooden fence instead. One little bit of the hedge survived, and we left it.


We have bunches of bright red Crocosmia Lucifer blooming around the garden now too. The hummingbirds love them. 


We all have seasons in the sun too. Our friend Dede just had her 96th birthday yesterday. We'll see her at breakfast on Friday. On Saturday we will go to Whidbey Island to attend a birthday party for Tom's brother Dave, who is turning 80. Actually we share a birthday, the 17th, but we are celebrating his on the 15th, a Saturday. I will have a year and two days to go before my big one. 

I have not had any more reports from my mountain climbing girls. They are apparently out of cell phone range, but I do have their day by day itinerary and they are closer to the sun now, having climbed from base camp at 6,500 ft to 9,000 ft, through jungle vegetation. With 10 hours difference they are now probably sleeping. Tomorrow they climb through Montane Forest and the Hagenia Zone to 11,400 ft. 

I actually went for a real walk today and yesterday. It was only about .75 of a mile today, a little more yesterday, but it was more than just walking around the house and yard.  It's not easy and I have to make myself do it, but if I want to enjoy my future seasons in the sun I need to be mobile. 

Keep on trekkin'. 


8 comments:

  1. I also want to enjoy future seasons in the sun but don't like how my age is catching up to me with little irritations such as getting dizzy and undesirable numbers on my lab tests. Can't quite figure out what is going wrong - but I do need to exercise more. And I do need to stay hydrated. Green tea and Coca cola don't count. From today, I am making a conscious effort to drink more water during the day. And exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you keep on trekking. It's one of the few ways to stay in the game. I'll bet you're thinking often of your girls. A friend of mine spent his 70th birthday at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Clematis is lovely. My Crocosmia ( which gets called Montbretia around here) is standing up nicely. Mine leans to the west because it's a little too crowded by everything else. Good for you getting out there and walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our clematis was in bloom in Spring and it is finish now. Your garden is beautiful, our’s is a mess! Too much heat then too much rain…
    It is difficult for the plants to survive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, by all means, keep on trekkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Clematis is in bloom now too, but our Crocosmia is just starting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear you walked almost a mile, and that is progress indeed. I am sore from Thursday's hike, but getting better every day, too. I love the crocosmia in bloom around here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The promise of spring flowers is always so special, but I do have a fondness for the hardy ones who make it through the heat of summer. The clematis is lovely, and I don't think I've seen crocosmia here at all but what a lovely flower.
    I've been lazy lately, rarely walking and I need to do more of it and soon. Not moving, I think, is often the reason why many see a decline in their health.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.