Tuesday, August 1, 2023

August , and Keeping On

 While the roses diminish, the lilies burst worth in August.






I like to have a few in the house too.


The Buddleia blooms don't last long in the house, but they smell so good. 

There are zinnias on the kitchen table now. 

Yesterday we traveled to Olympia to have lunch with sister Laurie and catch up. She recently returned from a two week criuse to Denmark and Norway and we had to hear all about it. Then we had dessert and a visit with her son Andy, soon to be wife Corral, and two of their sons. They wanted a report on Jill and Irene's travels in Africa.

Laurie gave me this lovely cup, which made it's debut for lunch on the patio today.



She also brought me some Transparent apples, so this morning I made a pie.


Tom will  enjoy eating it as he recovers from double cataract surgery, which happens early tomorrow morning.

I have news too, on the medical front. I saw my orthopedic surgeon last week and got a diagnosis of sacroiliitis, inflammation of the sacroiliac joint, located between the lower spine and the hip joint. I had diagnosed it with the help of Dr Google more than a month ago, but now it's official. Cause - arthritis of course. Symptoms - sharp stabbing pain in the lower back and posterior hip area. Walking helps, once you get through the first ten minutes or so. My physical therapist and I agree that I will continue to work on flexibility and core strength. I have an appointment with the spine clinic on August 10th to evaluate and possibly start injection treatments. We'll try to make it better but it's not going away. I'm working on my positive attitude. 

We got a late start today because we stayed up to watch the US Women play Portugal in the Womens World Cup. It started at midnight Pacific time. We made it to bed by 2:30 am. The US Women had their hands full with the talented Portuguese women, and the match ended in a scoreless tie. The US will advance, but are looking shaky.

And so we are now in mid-afternoon of a bright, sunny, warm summer afternoon. It's 82 degrees, a bit warm for me. I'll stay inside now until this evening, when the sun starts to go down and we'll go for my one mile walk. 

Gotta keep moving. 

12 comments:

  1. How is an apple Transparent? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://agresearch.montana.edu/warc/guides/apples/heritage_orchard_management_guide/heritage-fruit-id-guide/apples_id_key/yellowtransparentappleid.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, the things that can go wrong with a body! But attitude does play a part in dealing with these things and you seem to have a positive, yet realistic one. Keep moving and enjoying all that family brings into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read somewhere that all bodily problems are caused by inflammation. I take a 500 mg Tumeric capsule every day. Can't say I have no pain, but I think it must help with this aging thing we are all experiencing. That pie looks amazing! And your flowers are, as always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best to Tom on his two surgeries. I had them one at a time. I hope you will do the drops for Tom. I had 474 drops . that was a grind. However , my improvement in sight was a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely new cup your sister gifted you. I hope Tom's cataract surgery goes well and proves to be helpful. For myself, it didn't improve my sight at all but many have wonderful results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arthritis is very painful especially where your’s is located. I have degenerative arthritis on my left foot and it is painful. I hope they can find a relief for you.I just had my second eye surgery like Tom, an apple pie will help to go to his eye surgery 😆
    The cup is just beautiful , so are your flowers. I hope the girls had a good rest after their long travel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your painful challenge. You sound as though you are following the right methods. I guess we will not get out of thislife without a battle of one kind or another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a trooper, you keep going through all that pain. I believe it will get better, albeit not as quickly as we hoped. And I had my cataract surgeries one at a time, but love how much better I could see. That was then, though, and my AMD has continued to worsen my eyesight. Not driving much at all these days. Love your pretty lilies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear of the issues related to the arthritis. I do hope there is some relief from the pain.
    The lilies are gorgeous. My mom was a huge fan of Asiatic lilies and had created an large bed of them before she passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had a grueling doctor's appointment today. I look and feel fine but some of my numbers are bad so I was ready for his scolding. Arthritis is considered to be an autoimmune disorder. I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis. His theory is the amount of GMO in our diets. I told him that I will eat better foods and exercise more, but he rolled his eyeballs because he knows me too well.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.