Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Garden Turing on Vashon and Maury Islands - Part 2

 The Carhart Garden on Maury Island was a challenge. This is 2.5 acres of hillside garden winding down through native trees and 20 years of enhanced plantings: Japanese maples, species rhododendrons, rare and unusual woodland plants and ferns, unusual conifers, hydrangeas, shade loving perennials, and a pond with waterfall and an antique Indonesian garden shed. Down at the house level there is more to explore.

When we encountered the gate just off the parking area and looked down, I wasn't sure I could do this. But you gotta' try. My hip injection was only sort of working and my unsteadiness was as bothersome as usual.

Here we go.




I was happy to be on these wide, smooth pathways, but going off to the side to the pond pavilion took some careful stepping and some hand holding, but it was worth it. 




We noticed that the sheared shrubs mimicked the boulders. 




Because I was working hard navigating the pathways, I know I missed many details. So many great plants. And we wondered how glorious this must be in the spring.



Down at the house level, which is still high bank above Quartermaster Harbor. 








We loved this Japanese Forest Grass waterfall with pottery salmon.
Fern table
And I especially enjoyed sitting down to take it all in.  

Then we traversed across the front of the house to see what was on the other side. 











Another view of the pond, at pond level.

Then we were hot and tired and gladly accepted the offer of a ride back up the driveway to our car. 

There was more to see. Thankfully the next garden was some distance away so we had time to chill in the blasting car air conditioner getting there.

It was a smaller, pleasant garden, but I won't be sharing it. I have one more big one to go, in Part 3. 

8 comments:

  1. That is a lot of beautiful landscaping. The grassy river with the salmon is amazing! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great garden to meander through. Lots of shady spots which I'm sure you enjoyed. You did really well with walking all the paths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one with the large native trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great one! It really had the feel of a Japanese garden - just the right amount of sameness with restraint. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is an impressive garden, and your massive number of pictures showed it in detail. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful. It does look a little steep in places and curvy. Glad you had Tom to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! They must have a gardener or be young!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This garden is very nice and I love the view

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.