Thursday, August 24, 2023

I Lied

 Well, I didn't really lie. But I happy to report that I was somewhat mistaken when I said that the steroid shot I got several weeks ago didn't work. There is a noticeable improvement now in the amount of pain the sacroiliitis caused. I can stand in one place longer without the burn. With less pain my spirits have lifted. Tom and I were back out walking yesterday evening and I got my mile again.

It also lifted my spirits to get together with these people. 


For many years I coordinated a monthly gathering of the McMicken Lunch Bunch, a group of mostly retired staff from McMicken Elementary School. COVID put a stop to that, and I was having so many surgeries that I decided to let it go. 

McMicken is our neighborhood school, and early last week while we were out walking we met Dawna and her husband out walking too. We stopped to talk. Dawna is a retired employee from our school and lives right by the school. She expressed a desire to get people together for lunch again. I encouraged her. But then she needed contacts, which I still had from years back, so we coordinated. The result surprised us. 

There were ten of us. Two had to cancel for health related reasons. Three left before I remembered to get a photo, and these seven of us lingered long after the restaurant emptied out. It was a wonderful reunion, and enough impetus to try to keep it going occasionally.  

Do you have trouble managing your bananas? I know, weird change of subject. I always used to be able to buy a weeks worth of bananas - Tom and I share one every morning - in various stages of ripeness. Lately my neighborhood Safeway has only been offering ripe ones, which go overripe too quickly. I bought a bunch at Costco on Tuesday, which I never do, because you have to buy the whole bunch, and they were all green. Grrr. But the payoff of the too ripe bananas, which I got tired of eating, was that I made another batch of banana, cranberry, walnut muffins, which now reside in the freezer, ready to grab and go. 


It's time to wrap this up, but I'm killing time waiting for this Novocain to wear off. I was back at the dentist this morning for the next stage of root canal then crown. I'm growing weary of all of this medical stuff.

But the new flowers I picked when I got home are pretty. The sun is shining, there is just a hint of smoke, and it's warm, not hot. All is good enough. 

9 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying a day off, and very glad to learn that you are finally getting some relief from all that pain. Love your photos, and those muffins look wonderful!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so much lied as spoke too soon. I am glad that you are getting relief and have muffins to enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that very soon you are finished with any treatment and can live a normal senior life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to hear that you have some relief from the pain. Constant pain is an awful thing. I saw on TV that people are putting aluminum foil over the top of the banana clump to stop the ripening. I believe there is also some fancy silicone cover. I saw something on Shark Tank about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad for you that it finally worked. I hate to go to the dentist but here when you can get an appointment you are lucky! Sometimes you must wait months to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear that you've gotten some reduction in pain. I hope it lasts a long time.
    Your former groups lunch sounds like fun, with lots of catching up to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy getting together with old friends, too. Those muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pain is so demoralizing. I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better.
    It's super smoky here today. I debated missing my walk but in the end I just went.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure don't let moss grow! Great that you get together with friends again and you bake! I love banana anything.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.