Sunday, August 27, 2023

Garden Touring Again

 Our garden club, which is associated with the larger organization, Northwest Perennial Alliance, also meets once a month to do our own thing. Each month has a different organizer. For this month I was asked for advice, and I said, " Let's go somewhere where they water. We have enough of our own dried up gardens." And so we chose Powellswood, a private garden open to the public for a small fee. 

We had a guide, the head gardener, a young man who fairly recently was just a learner himself and didn't even know what a horticulturalist was. Now he is one. He was a fun guide.

This property has been gardened for about 30 years and has gone through many changes. We hardly recognized it from when Tom and I were there many years ago. It's in a ravine, wooded, and you would hardly know it is surrounded by the city of Federal Way. 

Get ready for a photo dump. 

Listening to our guide, surrounded by the sunny color boarder,


















Transitioning to another "room".


And down to another level.






There's a pond back in there but it is now filled with vegetation. 







This is the pond, filled with boggy plants.
Transitioning again, to a shade garden. 







And then we are in the forest. 






Observation deck with views of the tamed in the foreground, the wild behind. 

Heading back to another room in the cultivated garden, and a place to sit and visit until it's time to go to lunch. 


The view from my bench where I sat under the cherry trees. 
Then back on the patio where we began, and where with better light, I couldn't resist a few more photos. The final flourish: succulents, palms, and bananas.






Then we went to lunch. There were 17 of us. The wait for our food was long but the restaurant staff managed us well. Trying to carry on conversations with that many people with my hearing loss was exhausting. I was happy to be home, but also happy to have gone, shared more beauty,  managed the walking and stairs, and connected with gardening friends. 

9 comments:

  1. So much beauty to enjoy in that lovely garden.
    You did well with all the walking.
    I know exactly how it is to have difficulty making out what folks are saying especially when there's a lot of ambiant noise. My hearing is getting worse and worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really pack things in and as a result have lots of color...even many greens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I never tire of your garden tours and the wonder of plants that grow in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very beautiful and feel cool and restful in your pictures. Thanks for the wonderful pictures and for taking me along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible set of gardens. I must admit, I prefer the more subdued areas including the woods.
    Glad you were able to get out and do the garden walk and join your friends for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was HUGE! It was almost like going hiking on tamed grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s a very big garden with so many different plants! I visited a garden like this in Scotland. Garden and wood. You walked quite a long way! But I ´m sure you had a very nice time .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love garden touring vicariously through your blog. It's just too much of an effort to actually dispatch myself for garden touring, but you do a wonderful job of showing them! You're looking well!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.