Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Some Good, Some Not So Good

 

Asters are good, a beautiful cut flower, long lasting, in shades of pink and blue and purple, here jazzed up with bright marigolds.

Bad car service is not good. Our little red Chevy Cruise was starting funny, so Tom took it to the battery guys at Les Schaub. They said the battery was ok. So what was the problem? Tom took it to our Chevy service guys, who said the battery was bad, but then couldn't seem to contact us even though they had our cell phone and land line numbers. It sat there for most of a week before we finally got the battery changed. And by the way, "There's an oil leak." Fed up, Tom brought it home and called another Chevy dealer. They found the oil leak, bad gaskets. They had the car for more than a week - lots of labor involved in changing all of the gaskets. We "bought" the car back last Friday - $5000- and as I drove it home during rush hour traffic, I was soon in a cloud of oil smoke. No good place to turn around, I drove it the three miles home. Monday morning we had it towed back to the Chevy service where they were very apologetic, paid for the towing, and have diagnosed the problem as a bad oil cooler. It is getting fixed and we might have it back this afternoon. I'm not holding my breath.

That same Friday afternoon I participated in a brain study, and over at our KP clinic I answered a bunch of questions and drew pictures and was asked to remember things and solve things. I scored 27/30 and passed. I'm "normal". That's good. I just wish my normal was a little better. 

We have been enjoying fresh home grown tomatoes now, with many more to come on into September. With home grown basil and fresh mozzarella cheese, caprese salad is so good. I'll be having lots of tomato and cottage cheese lunches too. 


The plum tomatoes are coming on too. I'll be freezing them whole in plastic bags for soups and stews. If there are lots I'll make tomato sauce. 

Our two poblano pepper plants and producing well. Today Tom picked some of them and I roasted and diced them up to store in the freezer.
I kept the four biggest ones. I will attempt once again to make chili relleno. So good!

I am enjoying the cooler weather. We had a tiny bit of rain here overnight. We need more, but cooler is good. 

Update: Our Chevy is fixed and back home in the garage. Many apologies were offered. 
BTW, that high service cost was mostly labor and sales taxes. Gotta pay working people a living wage, and those taxes help support our schools. Almost makes it acceptable. :-/


7 comments:

  1. We got a teeny bit of rain last night, too. Hopefully more is on the way. Bummer to find out about your car problems, but also very happy to hear that you are "normal." I kind of figured you might be, albeit your very own brand of normal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car repairs are costly. That is part of the reason I like a car that is under a warranty then I do not have to worry about repairs. I am really enjoying our 2024 Buick and plan to enjoy it for three years and trade it off again. I must have reliable transportation! You are getting a bunch of veggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tomatoes and peppers!
    Good thing you got your car problems dealt with in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you finally got resolution on the vehicle, though I'd probably be asking for a refund from the second Chevy shop. It doesn't sound like they did their job at all.
    Enjoy your tomatoes and peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my daughters ´job brain studies! Psycho neurologist.
    Well it is not good for us 😆 she is always analysing us! I don’t know what is my score… but yours is quite good!
    We had the same problems with the garages here.
    Your tomatoes look very good .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Car problems are such a pain. And for me, growing tomatoes is another pain - it is too hot, too dry, soil is bad... But I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your car troubles. They always are annoying. We bought our Tucson in 2021, and so far, it works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.