Friday, August 4, 2023

The Eyes Have It

 As much as the drought has everything going brown, there is still beauty in August. 


I'm enjoying the lilies and the few hydrangea blooms we have, and the bright pink Buddleia down at the end of the garden. 

Tom had double cataract surgery on Wednesday and he is now commenting on how bright and wonderful the colors are and how WHITE white is. He is doing very well, passed his day after check up with the doctor, and his eyes are quickly becoming less light sensitive now. 

After breakfast this morning we stopped at a drug store and found him some good sunglasses, since  he can't use his clip-ons anymore - no glasses! He might need glasses eventually for astigmatism and/or for reading, but that will be determined later. We found him a good pair of low level readers at the grocery store for now when we did our shopping this morning. 

The other stop we made was to get more of my dental antibiotic, which I have to take when I have dental work done, since I have an artificial heart valve. I had a quick check in with my dentist on Wednesday afternoon to report a problem, and now I have an appointment for a root canal and then follow up work. Aging sucks. 

I made applesauce Thursday out of the Yellow Transparent apples Laurie brought me that didn't go into a pie. I cored the apples but didn't peel them. When cooked I put them through a food mill. 

Ready for the freezer. 

For those of you who were wondering, Transparent apples are a type of early apple is best picked and used when still slightly unripe. If you don't watch them closely they will all be on the ground and turning soft before you know it, but if still a bit tart they make the best pie and applesauce. 

As you know I am interested in the Women's World Cup, which is being played in New Zealand and Australia. The USA women play next on Sunday, which unfortunately means they play here at 2:00 AM. I don't think I'll be staying up for that one. I will record it. But if I just happen to have one of those insomniac nights, who knows. I might have trouble keeping my eyes open though. 


14 comments:

  1. Good to hear that Tom is done with the cataract surgery. In our area they will only do one eye at a time a couple weeks apart. The dollar store has all kind of reading glasses and sun glasses I have pairs all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, can't believe he had both eyes done at the same time! I have cataracts, too. Just postponing the inevitable surgeries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear Tom's cataract surgery went well. For me it made a big difference. I don't have glasses on my driver's license anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that your lovely white lily flower ( Casa Blanca?) has its stamens loaded with pollen just waiting to get on some unsuspecting person. I've cut mine but cut off those pretty orange tips before I even brought them in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the transparent information. Homemade applesauce sounds wonderful. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your root canal work goes smoothly and will soon be in the rear view mirror. And so glad to hear Tom's surgery went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your dental surgery. Your applesauce looks great. I make an apple butter where I don't pulverize the apples - I have a little hand chopper that I mince them to about 1/4 to 1/2" chunks instead. I gave a quart to my renter and he brought the jar back the same day(!?) He asked "What was that anyway?" I said, "It's like an apple jam" - He said "OH! It was so good I just ate the whole jar." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you the best on the dental issues. Congrats to Tom on the successful cataract surgery.
    My neighbour's tree is full of apples and I noticed their next door neighbour was helping themselves to a few (the branch hangs over the fence) Nice of your friend to share the apples with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm rooting for you and the US Women's team. Also rooting for the Japan team - small but spunky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes aging sucks! And how do you get Lilacs at this time of summer! Our bloom in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are not lilacs, They are Buddleia, butterfly bush.

      Delete
  11. Your flowers are lovely! So cheerful! The other day a friend of mine said "Golden Years... ha! I call them the Rusting Years cause everything is falling apart!" For sure aging is not for the faint of heart... good luck with your root canal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad Tom’s surgery was successful. You are ready for winter with the apple sauce! Your flowers are very nice buddleias and hydrangeas are a good match

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a treat to have those bouquets from your garden to brighten up the inside as well. I have to admit I'd never heard of transparent apples -- but pies and applesauce are good things.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.