Thursday, April 21, 2011

Road Trip, Day Four: Oregon Trail

What makes me happy?  How about mixing natural beauty with history, while the sun shines, and the skies are not cloudy all day.  Add the creature comforts of modern life, like a car, a good interpretive center, and a casual pace and I have the makings of a great day.

It was not so for the emigrant wagon trains that made their way west in the 1850's. They faced miles and miles of endless, featureless prairie, so when they finally saw the features that came to be known as Monument Valley, they had assurance of progress.  This marked the end of the first third of the journey.

After leaving the Missouri River the wagon trains traveled along the Platte and North Platte Rivers,  The first monuments they passed were Courthouse and Jail Rocks.


 The feature most mentioned in reports and journals came next, Chimney Rock.

 While the wagons could spread out across the plains, here at Scotts Bluff, they were required to go single file as they picked their way between the bluffs.
The Oregon Trail Museum at the Scotts Bluff National Monument tells the story.

 And then modern visitors can walk the trail the wagons took.

The first signs of spring are beginning to appear on the high plains.

The tree below sits right in the middle of the wagon track.

Ruts, below, and the track above show the way out.
A yucca pod, last year's flower.
I would not have made a very good pioneer.

And then we got in our car and drove the paved road to the top of Scotts Bluff, for some wonderful views.
The North Platte River, below, is at flood stage this spring.  The 'badlands' below, show why the wagons had to go through the narrow pass through the bluffs.
Pines grow in the water catching cracks in the rocks.

Coal trains out of Wyoming are constant companions here.  Look closely to see one coming down the valley.
Creeping phlox are beginning to bloom on the bluff top.
And then we were on our way again.  Welcome back to Eastern Colorado.
Tonight we are back in Fort Morgan for a three day weekend with the family.  It will be a busy time, so I will probably not post again until we are back home next Monday.

Three cheers for Suzie (my little Acer net book), who has learned to be ever so much more efficient at handling lots of photo postings.  I learned a few things too.

9 comments:

  1. AMAZING photos, Linda! It's hard to imagine how people could choose to ride a wagon train across such a desolate area. It's scary to think about what they endured. I'm glad we're got paved roads. Have fun! Thanks for sharing your views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little Acer did a great job, Linda. You also had quite an interesting road trip, especially so with the pictures. Have a safe trip home, and a blessed Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great photos, my Mormon pioneers came along that same trail and I've always wanted to drive it...thanks for taking me along on your journey through your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am really very impressed by the scenery. I have often wondered how people kept going in their wagon trains when i see pictures of badlands and western mountains. I am so sure I would not have the fortitude it must have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I would have been one of those who never got in a wagon heading west. Thanks for the great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hej våra kära släktingar.
    Det är så roligt att se foton från de fina resorna som Ni gör. Vi imponeras av ert flitiga resande.
    Vi önskar er allt väl.
    Inga-Britt och Bernt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are amazing. I am struck by how dry and barren the land looks. It would have taken a lot of faith to begin that journey toward Oregon. I'm not sure I would have been a good pioneer either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post! My maternal great great grandma traveled the Oregon Trail, successfully. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnificent!!

    I can't imagine having to travel like that and probably wouldn't have been a successful pioneer, either.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.