Monday, April 4, 2011

A Sunless, But RAINLESS Sunday!

It didn't rain on Sunday, so you get pictures!


I promised myself that whether it was sunny or not (it wasn't), if it wasn't raining on Sunday (it wasn't), we would go on an adventure. I had read about Chambers Creek Park, south of Tacoma, in Sunset magazine, and we set out to find it.


Turns out it was a bit of an adventure, too, as our GPS address ended up no where. But we had our map book and persisted. We ended up at a small beach park near Steilacoom, but that wasn't right. I'll show you that tomorrow.


So we backtracked to a sign we had seen along the road, parked on the shoulder, and headed into the greenbelt that is the Chambers Creek Canyon.
The forest floor was lush with new spring growth.
We chose the low road into the wetlands area.
 This old stump shows the spring board holes of logging long ago, when cross cut hand saws were used, and the loggers stood on spring boards placed in notches to get above the trunk flare.


Trillium were blooming in the woods.

And skunk cabbage was coming into bloom in the boggy areas.
I love the pink of salmon berry blooms.
Licorice ferns grow on the maple trees, adding a frilly fringe.

Beaver signs.

Fringe cup foliage.
False lily-of-the-valley.

It was a lovely walk in the wild, but it was not what I saw in the magazine, so we studied our maps and set off again.
And there it was! Chambers Bay Properties, which includes a public golf course, and Chambers Creek Park, which includes walking paths, a central meadow and an overpass access to the beach.

Kites were flying over the Central Meadow.

This whole area is a reclaimed sand and gravel quarry. The supports for the old conveyor system for loading barges adds an interesting architecture to the landscape.


This grand overpass takes pedestrians safely over the mainline railroad tracks.

Steps lead down to the rocky beach. For those of you not familiar with this area, this is a branch of Puget Sound, which is dotted with islands.
In the distance you can see the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

Tomorrow I'll show you some sights of historic Steilacoom.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a real find. I always enjoy your adventures since I never get to go on any myself.

    I always learn something too, like how trees were cut long, long ago. I, of course, know nothing about logging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite an adventure. It sounds like my kind of day, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day of exploring, and it paid off for you. That pedestrian overpass is definitely first class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you could get out and share your photos..I would take rain instead of the snow showers......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knowledge of the flora and fauna is always very informative and impressive. Do you just know all the names of these various plants, or do carry some sort of book with you? If you know them all, how did you learn them?

    My grandmother was very knowledgeable when it came to identifying the various wild flowers of Colorado. I forgot many of them, but I am trying to re-learn how to identify them.

    You photos are all very interesting and quite beautiful. I'm glad you got out for your walk. How was your foot on the walk?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you were going to rest your ailing foot. How did you feel when you got home?

    But, I do admire your sense of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my foot hurt pretty good by the time I got home, but it was worth it. I did my stretching, which made it hurt more, iced it, and stayed in my recliner for the evening.

    I guess my mother passed on to me a love of plants, especially native plants. Then when we bought our current property we got books and studied the natives here to decide what we wanted to leave and protect. In doing so, I began to be even more familiar with the native plants in our region. Now I know most of them by sight.
    Since we are gardeners we are also familiar with many garden plant names, especially perennials. It's fun to use the old common names my mother used, but in gardening we have also learned many latin names. Those are easy to forget. The common names always stay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, both of my foot docs have said I do not need to stay off my foot or stop walking. I have given up exercise walking for now but I will not be grounded from the occasional adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're certainly adventurous-glad you find what you were looking for, great photos-thanks for taking us along

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! You have such spring already! We won't get trilliums until around May 31st here! We had snow last night. Sigh. I am on my way to Florida..will be gone for a week. We fly out tomorrow. But not to worry, I pre-published some blog posts for when I am gone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are still going out and about, even if there is pain anyway. We got some rain here yesterday, and today, more rain. I'm so ready for some sunshine and springlike weather. That said, your pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love how you know the names of all the plants. I'm in awe of your knowledge. Half the time, I don't know what I'm looking at over here. Gorgeous photos, Linda. Looks like you had a fabulous walk. I hope your feet are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your spirit is uplifting!! I always enjoy your escapades and adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adventure you had! I love that pedestrian bridge. I imagine on a sunny day that whole area is striking.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.