Monday, April 18, 2011

Road Trip - Day One

There was a lot of road in today's road trip - about 500 miles!  We drove from Fort Morgan, Colorado to Rapid City, South Dakota, with a swing northward to Devil's Tower National Monument.


We drove from mild temps into rain and snow showers in eastern Wyoming, with temps dipping to 32.  Our main attraction for today was to be Devil's Tower, but we wondered if we would even see it when we finally got there.

To our great surprise and relief, it was dry and almost sunny when we arrived at the park at 4:45.
What an amazing land form this is, sticking up out of no where. The tower is the remnants of an ancient lava vent which was originally buried far below the surface. Eons of erosion have left it exposed.

We were very happy to be out of the car and we bundled up against the 36 degree temp and hiked the 1.3 mile trail around the base of the Tower.

It felt great, and I was so pleased to have the weather cooperate.

Even the prairie dogs in the park were jumping for joy!

Tonight we are in Rapid City, South Dakota, where it is 32 and snowing!  We arrived in our motel room at 8:00 and walked to a restaurant next door for a late dinner.

I have spent the last hour getting Suzie, my name for my little Acer net book, to cooperate with what is for her a big job of receiving and posting photos.  I may have to severely limit what I post each day, just to give you an idea of what we're up to.

And who knows what we'll be up to in the morning - maybe three inches of snow.  It might be too bad to get to the Badlands.  Will Mt Rushmore be visible?

We remind ourselves, it's an adventure, anything can happen.  Like today, some of it will be good!

12 comments:

  1. That prairie dog looks like he is suffering from a case of the mange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, Linda! And I am so pleased you brought your Acer with you so we can see up to the minute photos each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen Devil's tower, interesting. Good luck with the weather this time of year-it's so changeable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures turned out well considering the circumstances. I especially like the picture of you! Glad you are able to post, I love to tag along on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post brings back the memory of one of the road trips Mike and I took several years ago now. Plenty of road out that way, for sure. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of driving in one day.
    I remember my boys asking to go to devil's tower years ago. We had been to Yellowstone and since they were fans of "Close Encounters" they had to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update via your traveling computer. It looks like you are having a great time. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never heard of Devil's Tower. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great shots. We'll be in the same area in about three weeks. Looks exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, been there too. We went there because it was in the movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I think what I remembered most was the prairie dogs.

    Oh this is so neat, Linda! I'm having a blast seeing these places again with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was interesting to see that volcano vent Linda - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. Devil's Tower is remarkable and that prairie dog is so cute!

    I love adventures and think it's really neat that you're taking this trip!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.