Friday, April 2, 2010

Signs of the Times

It's a cold, wet, blustery day here in the Pacific Northwest, the kind of weather we would expect if it hadn't been for the mild winter and warm temps that spoiled us earlier. So far the heavy winds that were predicted haven't hit here. That's good. Nobody wants a power outage. The native dogwoods are coming into bloom, just in time for Easter. Click the link for a version of the Dogwood Easter Legend. The maple outside the window is in flower and leafing out while serving as a perch for chickadees visiting the feeders.
The blue bells (scilla) are opening to harmonize with the tulips.
Princess Irene tulips are beginning to open. They are a favorite not just because of their name but also for their orange-purple-pink color. The first clump of trillium to bloom is now going pink.
Tom's greenhouse is filling with cuttings and seedlings.
And I went shopping! Now that's a rare sign indeed. I don't remember when I bought anything but jeans, tee shirts and sneakers. But I looked over my wardrobe, pathetic as it is, and decided I really needed something new for my date for high tea with my granddaughter Irene when we celebrate her fifth birthday in Denver in two weeks.
Good old JC Penny provided me with an easy little pants suit at 50% off, so I bought a hat too! I'll have to think about making a flower for it.
And of course, another sign of the times - Easter Eggs! Isaac and Irene and Jill and Corey had fun last night decorating eggs, and I found pics on my email this morning. I love technology.
One of Irene's favorite colors is "turpoise".

8 comments:

  1. These are the signs of change I like. The winds haven't hit us much either. We had a little wind and rain about 9:00 a.m. but generally that forcast was a bust. The sun is shining now. We were ready with flashlights and candles if there happened to be a power outage.

    You look great in a hat. I look terrible. By the time you dress that one up you'll look very sharp with your new clothes at high tea. I love to go to high tea.

    I also like Irene's favorite color! I can't believe she's dying eggs in a white shirt with only an apron to protect her. I'm 68 and I would not be able to keep that egg coloring off my clothes if I was wearing full rain regalia. Must be a very neat child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I was going to say the same thing as Linda -- what a neat child to dye eggs with a white shirt on!

    I like your outfit. The hat goes well with it. I hope to experience my first High Tea at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong next month. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My favorite color is "turpoise", too!
    2. Gorgeous children!
    3. I love your 'ensemble' -- esp the hat! A gardenia would top it off beautifully, I think.
    4. You are about a week ahead of us 'bloom-wise'. What is the flower beside the coral-colored tulip? I have these, but never knew what they were called.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your flowers are gorgeous! And it has been windy and blustery here in Ballard. Love your outfit and the hat in particular and a flower would be the perfect touch!! Marvelous pics of Isaac and Irene! They do look as though they're having a great time! I love turpoise!! And, yes, isn't technology wonderful! Have a lovely Easter, Linda!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will look fantastic for High Tea. And I also love technology. Today I'll head to the Farmers' Market opening day and hopefully get some new pictures for the blog! I love your pictures, and you do look great in that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dogwoods so much that I planted one in my garden. They aren't supposed to do well here in our summer heat but so far it is fine.
    Isn't it great to be able to see what the grandkids are up to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. spring weather is unpredictable...glad you got a new spring easter outfit and to see the grandkids color easter eggs. we are visiting grand nephews tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that you can see your grandchildren "quick as a wink"! I think you will look lovely with your new suit and hat for high tea.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.