Thursday, April 8, 2010

Skagit Valley Tulips

The Skagit Valley is a beautiful place, and never more so than during daffodil and tulip season. Located north of Seattle, it is a large flat agricultural valley ringed by the hills of Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands on the West and the Cascade Mountains of the east.
An important crop in the valley is flower bulbs, and RoozenGaarde is one of the largest growers. To advertise their bulbs they have created an amazing display garden.
It was our first stop.
This border is outside the display garden, along the road.
How about this rainbow of color?
A salute to Dutch heritage, of course.
It was cold, windy, and with a spattering of rain, but the growing fields beyond beckoned.
Bulb fields have to be rotated with other crops each year, so what was a rainbow last year is emerald green this year.
A drive across the valley yields many vistas of colorful fields.

13 comments:

  1. WHAT BEAUTY!!!!and I bet it smelled haevenly, also. I like your hat very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too beautiful for words. Gracious, I don't think I've seen such beauty in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you post this, Linda? Are you home now? Am curious as to whether you used your Acer netbook for these lovely, lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing. we are in texas now the hill country seeing more lovely wildflowers-will post photos later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gigi, I got back home this afternoon and used my PC to download these pics. i can do it with my little Acer, but it takes too long to do so many photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am speechless. Can't think of words to describe how beautiful the flowers look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heaven must looklike that. Incredible beauty! Thank you so much for sharing a place I would never have the chance to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a post with my visit to RoozenGaarde too, and I see they are still looking beautiful! What is that one red tulip doing in there with the others? I guess you would call it a rogue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures. The weather was very similar when we went on Wednesday. So cold and windy I mostly took pictures from the car.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Linda! I am having trouble comprehending such large fields of tulips and daffodils! Specially the daffodils. I'm sure there is nothing quite like it here in NZ- Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow...all those tulips. Mine just opened today...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.