Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Full House, Empty House

It's done.  

In just three weeks and one day since Jill received notification of her new job, they have moved into their new home. 

Three weeks to pack up, travel and haul, arrive, unpack and store, move in, find a rental house, get set up at the new school, move out, and set up the new house.

Of course we couldn't have done it without help; help in Colorado from Corey's family, and help here from day laborers and then JT and Bob, Jill's friend April's guys, and sister-in-law Jan and Ann.  Thank you to all of you.

At the storage unit on Sunday.

Jill checks the master list to see what stays and what goes to the house.  Corey set up a scanning code and labeled every box.  Jill could look on the master list or just check it on her phone.  Amazing.
 At the house.  The caravan made two trips.  All of the hauling was done by lunch time.
It's beginning to look like her house.  Jill has found her spot and takes a time out to keep Corey informed.
Of course then the work really began.  It took all afternoon Sunday to sort boxes and start unpacking and arranging.  On Monday Jill went to work, attending training sessions.  Tom and I and the kids went shopping for bunk beds and a book case and utility shelving, plus various and assorted this's and that's.  Monday afternoon and evening things were constructed.  I concentrated on unpacking more boxes.

My God, they have a lot of stuff.  I spent forever finding places for all of the toys.  The kids would get excited as they saw stuff coming out of the boxes.  As soon as I got one section set up, Irene would be there, making a fort or a store or an office, or something.  She got very annoyed with me when I kept closing her down to add or rearrange more stuff.

When we went back on Tuesday the bunk bed was set up, and that was the kid's new joy.  And still we sorted and arranged.  The dressers that went upstairs in our house now came back down and over to the new place.  And finally Jill came home from work and stuffed all of her clothes in her car and brought them over.  

I cooked dinner again Tuesday evening for everyone, and then they were gone, Tom and Jill to carry in one last dresser and vacuum the floors.  Tom made it home to watch the second half of the Sounders match with me on live streaming on the computer.

Jill and the kids spent last night in their new home.  This morning they practiced getting up and getting to school.  Tomorrow it's the real thing.  School begins.  And they are ready.  

Oh, Jill still has some sorting and arranging to do, and some shopping to fill the refrigerator, but we sent garden produce home with them last night.

And us?  Well, we do feel a bit like we've been hit by a hurricane - Hurricane Irene, and Isaac, and the force that is our daughter Jill.  Today we're beginning to put the house in order and get back to normal.

I just got back from a two and a half mile walk.  It felt great.  On the counter I found the mail, including a note from Isaac, which he apparently put in the mail box yesterday afternoon:
     I am getting a new house.  I'm moved in. Bot a new bed.  And very excited to see you soon.

And that is when the tears finally began to flow.  Yes, we were hit by a hurricane, but in our storm, no damage was done.

It's all good.


  1. Linda, I honestly don't know how you've held it together these last three weeks. Jill is indeed a moving force. When that little family is on the move, everyone is on the move. Bless you, but isn't it wonderful it's over and everyone seems to be adjusting well? You couldn't ask for more than that.

  2. Oh wow, that all happened so fast. Seemed to go just like clockwork from this side of the computer. Well done all of you, a lot of hard work I can imagine but I am sure it was fun too.

  3. Does your daughter give lessons in organization? I am just amazed that all of this was accomplished so quickly, and so well. Your daughter is a force to be reckoned with indeed.

  4. Wow, and all of this happened in time for school tomorrow. Hope Jill and her kids like their new school. Good luck and best wishes!

  5. I don't envy any of you, that's for sure, but glad everything seems to be settling in! Holding good thoughts for you all, lots of good luck and my very best wishes!!


  6. The really wonderful part is that I got to watch from the beginning here on your blog how it all unfolded. It sure seemed like a hurricane of the best kind. And now you can rest... for awhile, because they are now HERE! How wonderful to have it behind you...

  7. My gosh, what an endurance test! Very glad everyone is settled in, and hope you'll take some time to rest yo'self.

  8. Amazing amount of organization and team work! I was tired just reading this. How wonderful that Jill and her family have the 'village' to help them in the move.

  9. I'm behind, did they move here?
    I'll be reading more to find out where they moved to..


I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.