Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Portland International Rose Test Garden

Portland is officially "The Rose City". Roses grow well here at the north terminus of the Willamette Valley, an agricultural valley along the banks of the north-flowing Willamette River. 

The International Rose Test Garden was begun in 1918 and is the oldest continuously operated test garden in the US. Rose plants from all over the world are sent here to test for characteristics that would make a good commercial rose. It has been in its current location in Washington Park since 1928.

Washington Park, and the Rose Garden, rise above the downtown area on a hillside facing east, with a view of iconic Mt Hood. 




 The amphitheater. 




















Portland holds its Rose Festival each June, culminated by a grand floral parade. "Rosarians", as honored by this statue, are the official hosts. 






























If you are ever in Portland in June or early July you really should spend an hour (or more!) in this garden! It is sheer beauty. 

13 comments:

  1. One of my favorite places too take guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to you my list of places to see when I next visit is ever expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We visited the Portland Rose Garden on our very first visit to Portland a couple of years after we moved here. I liked that all the roses were well-labeled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a stunning array of roses. That place must smell devine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And with that short introduction and explanation you go on to 100's of roses. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'll bet it smells just wonderful there. Now, I could spend a day looking at roses. My favorite are the big cabbage roses, (think that's what they are called), the pink ones about half way on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen such a display. It would make one a rose lover for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, so beautiful. And the fragrance of roses is so relaxing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such treat to visit a rose garden as wonderful as this! Brings back fond memories of going there during the Portland garden bloggers' fling a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a friend who was there last week and her photos like yours are awesome, what a great place to spend the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roses in big gardens always becon me to test if I can smell any franfances. I will walk up to one that captures my attention and sniff. If it is a yes then I suck in one more blissful sniff /gulp of rose. It is sheer pleasure. I loved your pictures and long for a walk to a rose garden.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.