Monday, July 23, 2018

The Pageant, Continued

Last week I told you about my birthday pageant and suggested that it might continue over a period of a week's time.

Well, it did! While I don't consider my 74th birthday worthy of that much attention, it all just sort of happened.

Since there was a 1:00 Sounders match at the stadium, we left for the light rail early, at 9:00. Arriving downtown, loose in the city, we headed for the Public Market and breakfast at the Athenian. 

With very little wait time we were seated at a window table with this view. 
I'm not a seafood for breakfast person so I had eggs, bacon, and french toast. 
Tom has smoked salmon Eggs Benedict. 
The Market was packed with tourists, so after a nice long breakfast, we ducked in and out, grabbing views of a bit of the flavor of the market. 


The flower vendor stalls are always full of beauty, but especially in high summer.  
The fragrance of lilies wafted in the air. 





The famous flying fish stall was packed with onlookers, too crowded to get close. I do hope all of those tourists were spending money. 
We visited the little rooftop Senior Center garden that we discovered last year. 

Then it was time to catch the train back to Pioneer Square Station for the March to the Match. 
Our opponent was close rival Vancouver, B.C. I do love singing their anthem, Oh, Canada!
And ours too. 
And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air. 
The Emerald City Supporters deployed a big tifo overhead. 

Jill was there with her mountain climbing buddy, Steve. 
Best of all, the Sounders won, 2-0! And then we walked back into the city to the train station for our ride home.

But the day wasn't done. This lovely lady is Tally, our server at the Des Moines Creek restaurant where we have breakfast every Friday. She has become a dear friend to all of us. 
She invited our breakfast club to her wedding reception, celebrating her marriage to her Steve, that took place in Hawaii in May. It was at their home, with this view from their deck, where we sat and visited with people we didn't know, and that didn't matter. We ate more good food, and more cake!
Sunday morning was s-l-o-w. Then at 3:00 we were on our way to Jan's house near Gig Harbor, and this view.
There we met up with old friends and relatives and Tom and Jan's brother Dave and his wife Vicki, who were visiting from California. 
Jan prepared delicious salmon. 
There were lots of yummy salads.
The kids found things they would eat too. 
And there was more cake! My granddaughter Irene is taking over from her mother in the fancy cake department. In fact while Jill was out climbing another mountain, just a small one this time, Irene made a mountain cake. 
Dave Reeder and I share the same birth day, one year apart. Happy birthday to us!
The sun was setting when we made our way home, back over the Narrows Bridge, with Mt. Rainier in alpenglow peaking through the bridge. 
That concluded what turned out to be a great birthday pageant!

Now it is Monday, and back to reality. The housework and laundry are done. It's hot, 86 at 1:00, heading for 90. We will be lazy indoors for the rest of the day. And there will be no cake. 

15 comments:

  1. That is quite the spread. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so wonderful. I especially love the flower pictures, but I am also impressed with the amazing extent of your birthday pageant! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful time! I hope I can visit there one day. The flower pics are lovely! And your husband's salmon breakfast looked so delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live in a beautiful and interesting world, adventure almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When can I stop wishing you happy birthday!!! What's going to happen when you turn 75?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your birthday pageant is continuing. Life is never boring at the Reeder Household, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful end to a great birthday pageant! You sure do pack a lot of great activities into your days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason I giggles at all the flower bouquet photos. You just can't help yourself, can you? The family gathering looked like delicious fun. The whole post was just so summer. What a great time of yer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga, giggles are good! You are correct, I can't resist flowers or photos of flowers. I left half of them on the cutting room floor, so to speak. :-)

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday! I'd have SO much trouble decided which bouquet of flowers to buy at that market.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how fun...why not extend the celebration...happy birthday if I missed telling you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely know how to celebrate and you live in a town that makes it easy. One could never get bored there. How nice of the Sounders to win for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this post. I've never been to Seattle; it looks beautiful! And that salmon . . . Yum!!!
    Happy Belated Birthday,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had a fun week! I don't know how you manage the crowds. I guess you must get used to it. I haven't seen anyone all day long...just birds:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed say happy birthday to you, and now don't even know when it was. I'm sorry. Happy Birthday!! To someone really special!! I love seeing your family, and all the delicious looking foods you folks fix. .

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.