Sunday, July 15, 2018

This Is What Our Daughter Did

Jill climbs mountains. That is, when she isn't full time teaching and raising two young teens. 

Here is what she did last Wednesday night, Thursday morning, as she posted on her Facebook page.

This is Mt Hood, one of Oregon's volcanic peaks, as seen from the parking lot at elevation 6000 ft, showing the south side approach. At 1:15 am she and her climbing partner Steve left the parking lot. They climbed  5250' in three miles to the 11,250 summit, reaching it at 7:45 am. 
Here is Jill on the mountain at sunrise, with the shadow of Mt Hood behind her. 


Sulfur fumeroles in the crater were very strong and made her nauseous.


The upper 2000 ft were very steep. 
Jill and Steve, her Mountaineers mentor, at the summit.  Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams are in the background, to the north.  
South view with Mt. Jefferson and the Three sisters. 

 Summit selfie with Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Adams. She has climbed them all!
Jill and Steve stayed on the summit over an hour, just enjoying the views. They arrived back down at the parking lot  at 12:30 pm. 

Looking back up at the route. 
Obviously we are impressed by this most recent accomplishment. Tom and I are not very adventurous, but somehow we raised kids who are.

15 comments:

  1. My son is also very into hiking up mountains. My daughter, though, is not the slightest bit adventurous. We took them both hiking when they were kids, to very different results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That snow looks pretty good right now that I'm setting in temperatures in the high eighties. Jill looks very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, only I would be the one at the base of the mountain looking at my watch and wondering what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say Jill is one very strong and courageous woman ( who obviously doesn't have a problem with heights).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can’t think of anything athletic Jill isn’t capable of doing. Wonderful accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is not only super athletic, strong, motivated and adventurous, she is also so very beautiful. What a joy and credit to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations, Jill! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a tough climb in many ways. Starting at one AM would be the first challenge. The success of making a summit is always a "high"

    ReplyDelete
  9. An impressive accomplishment! Jill is amazing as are those views.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so impressive!! Admire her moxie and staying for an hour at the top was a just reward. No wonder your grands are so athletic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just looking at this takes my breath away! You and Tom raised an amazing daughter. Not only is Jill beautiful and talented and smart, she is such a good mother to Irene and Issac, and must be such a sweet daughter. I love hearing about your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill is very adventurous, and brave too. Climbing such mountains is one thing, but doing so with all that ice and snow is another. In my youth, I did one 14er, as we call them here in Colorado. I blew my knee out on the way down and sadly never did hike another. I wish her good health so she can continue summiting these spectacular heights. Keep it up Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woah! That is impressive! Mountain climbers have always fascinated me. My son says you don't really live unless you are cheating death (not something I taught him for sure!) and mountain climbing has more hazards than most recreation. Amazing views!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah Jill! Glad she made the summit safely:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.