Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Oregon Garden

Our travels in Oregon were two weeks ago now. Here is the last installment of that trip. 
************************************

The Oregon Garden was conceived by the Oregon Association of Nurseries as a place for a public showcase. The City of Silverton was looking for a way to use reclaimed wastewater. They connected in what became a 80 acre public garden and event center that opened in 1999.

The wastewater peculates through a series of terraced wetlands  and then into a holding tank to supply all of the water needs of the botanical garden. 

We first visited this garden in its formative stages, when we were visiting my mother, who lived nearby in the town of Molalla.  We have been there a couple of times since, but not for along time. It was interesting to see how much it had matured. 

This botanical garden contains more than 20 specialty gardens, including one of the largest collections of conifers in the country. 


Entering through the gift shop, a perennial path leads to the water garden.





The conifer garden, a collection of large to miniature trees and shrubs, looks a lot different than when it was first planted.  
At the back end of the conifer garden you come to the fountain and vista up to the resort. 







We enter back into the conifers to take a different path. 







This formal area is called a Bosque. 
A central axis runs through the garden from the resort at the top.



There are many paths to choose from to take you to the various rooms in this garden. We used our map frequently.
Silverton site in the foothills just above the Willamette Valley, which you can glimpse through the grove of Oregon oaks. 


I was very intrigued by this plant. It's called Showy Milkweed. 



Being a "big tree" collector, I was happy to add this mighty oak to my collection. I's over 400 years old, a survivor for sure. 










I want this bench!


The Children's Garden was fun. 




A cool water feature, a rain wall. 

This lovely bloom belongs to a Pineapple guava.
The bush looks like this. 











We spent four hours here, seeing all there was to see and having lunch on the terrace of the gift shop. It was a great way to spend a morning before we headed back home to Seattle from our trip to Oregon and my valley. 

10 comments:

  1. What a unique and lovely garden! I love the showy milkweed too. So many lovely sunflowers, one of my favorites. Also love the thoughtful use of water! We all need to be so aware of water use. We live on a little lake and have water rights for irrigation, but still are constantly aware of prudent use of water. It is definitely a limiting resource, even in the rainy Pacific NW. Great pictures, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Linda, you see so many beautiful gardens, but this one is already one of my favorites. The conifers, the flowers, the gorgeous landscaping. It all comes together in a wonderful feast for the eyes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They used their 80 acres very wisely. Their collection is large. I could spend all say wondering around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I especially like that dragonfly bench and the walkway shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful way to end your visit! I've heard of this place but have never been there. So many different gardens and all so well done. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a variety of colors, different species, etc. Great use of recycling waste water. They do that here too to water our golf courses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating how gardens have a character or personality, each of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That face with all the green growing hair is amazing. I love all the flowers in the pictures near the bottom. There are several I recognize, and I love the sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love smart gardening and using our resources wisely. I thought the faces in the Showy Milkweed were adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely spot! I noticed a bunch of Stock in the one photo, I bet that smelled really good!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.