Friday, October 8, 2021

Hoping For the Sun

 It's cold and foggy this morning. We just finished our 1.25 mile walk - I felt much better walking today, but it comes and goes - but it was cold, 44 degrees. My fleece jacket and knit gloves stayed on for the first time since last spring. 

Yesterday was sunny and bright when I met my sister Laurie for lunch on the waterfront in Tacoma. I was a little early so I walked down the shore line a bit before going to claim our table at the Harbor Lights restaurant and wait for her inside. 



We had a good conversation, catching up with our stories about our kids and trying to make sense of what's going on in the news. We ate chowder, fish and chips, and then dessert! 


 I had a small chocolate mousse but Laurie had Wild Huckleberry Ice Cream! I had a taste and it was wonderful.

After we left the restaurant we walked down the shore for a bit and then found a good sitting log on the beach and talked some more.



 Laurie lives about an hour and a half south of me so we don't get together that often. We sort of met in the middle, closer to me than her, and we might need to do more of this. We are the only sisters left. 

Outside the fog is slowly lifting. Tom and I are planning to get outside this afternoon and do some yard work. Now that it is getting cold, down to 39 last night, it's time to start putting the garden to bed. I think we have one more dry day before the rain returns for  a while.

As they say, make hay while the sun shines. 





10 comments:

  1. Brrrrr! I can't handle the cold, especially in bathrooms. I was planning to help my daughter in Seattle who just had a difficult labor but thankfully her husband is always there and family and friends are on call. It is working out well while she is recuperating and becoming a new mother, without her unhelpful mother. And this unhelpful mother just caught a terrible head cold earlier this week. Very unusual because I never get sick. So it will be cold and rainy from now on? Oh I hope it is mild cold and mild rainy. I will see them in November up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you can spend time with your sister, especially since you're the only 2 left.
    Laurie's Wild Huckleberry ice cream looks delicious!!
    We had a wonderfully sunny afternoon here. I hope you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to get together with siblings. In fall you have to make use of the good days. I have one more good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that you can visit with your sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always fun to visit with siblings. My brother and I only do that once a year do to the many miles but talk on the phone every Saturday for about an hour. They know a side of us few people do. That ice cream looks really wonderful.
    The one thing nice about putting a garden to bed is that it also frees up so much of your time. Enjoy your garden free vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish my sister lived closer, but with FaceTime, we catch up once a month. And glad to hear you are getting out and about a bit easier every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have had days of rain-amazing...but today it's stopped.. got our booster shot so it was a good time to stay put and let the sore arm from the shot feel better. What a lovely place for lunch and a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that you were able to have this precious time with your sister, Linda. Uuummm... that huckleberry ice cream looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing better than breaking bread with an old love. I am indeed envious, although I had a young friend so generously come for a day visit last week! Huckleberry jam is something I can really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good that you had such a nice time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.