Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lakewold Gardens, Part I: The Circle Drive

Be warned.  I took a lot of photos today.  This is only Part I.  The good part is you won't have to read much.


We have visited Lakewold Estate Garden in Tacoma before, but we wanted to go early this year, hopefully to see the Erythroniums in bloom.  So months ago I picked a day and put it on the calendar.  Today was that day, and the rain wasn't expected until late morning, so off we went.


This is the grand entry, The Circle Drive.



 Big old rhododendrons along the drive are coming into bloom.


 Glorious trees supply the canopy, shrubs the under story, and then there are the glorious ground covers.
 And yes, perfect! The Erythroniums are blooming!  Here pink ones.

 Tom loves hardy cyclamen.  There are fall blooming kinds and spring bloomers.  It looked like these were all fall bloomers.  But the foliage is wonderful.



 Oh, look!  Spring bloomers too, and mixed with Erythronium.



 Approaching the house.

 Side track into the fern garden.  Look at these red trillium!

 Not many ferns yet, but wonderful  and delicate blooming ground covers.









 The courtyard off the library.
And then, around the corner we entered the house.

Tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning hardy cyclamen. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them in a Portland garden. Never heard of such in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Erythroniums are nice Linda. Have never heard of them before. I like Rhododendrons though, and cyclamen. I bet the garden looks even better later on - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this virtual tour. Have to say, I am not quite sure why you need to go somewhere to look at gardens having such a beautiful yard at home. I guess this is a passion for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I took some trillium pictures yesterday (they were the wild variety) but they were blurry. Not gorgeous like these! I love the red ones, too. I look forward to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.