Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Is Really Here!

This is the third warm, dry day in a row.  It must really be spring, finally.


We got a late start this morning after yesterday's festivities.  Then we took down all of the Easter decorations and Tom vacuumed while I stowed the stuff.  
I had this stored in an upstairs closet, but the collection has grown.  It's time to go buy a storage tub, or tubs, and then put it in the attic.  The piles awaits a trip to Home Depot.


About 11:00 we finally made it outside to tackle the big job for the day, trimming the salal.
 It didn't take long to shed the sweatshirts.


Salal is a native shrub which was growing naturally on our property when we bought it 34 years ago.  We encouraged it where we wanted it to add to the landscape.  But it can get very tall.  Last year we removed a photinia hedge that was diseased, and planted hydrangeas in the space.  The salal needed to be lowered.
 We worked together to trim and pick up.  Tom trimmed some other trees and shrubs while we were at it. This area done, we declared it lunch time.
 The debris pile grew as we added to it from other parts of the yard in the afternoon.  Tom decided he would wait until tomorrow to put it through the shredder.
 The last thing I did was clean out the planter box on the front porch and add the plants that were the flowers from my Easter table center piece.
With left overs to eat for dinner, it will be an easy evening.  I'll go for a walk before settling down in front of the TV.  There is a new Antiques Roadshow tonight.

9 comments:

  1. It's a lot of work but it's well worth it. Your yard looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure, by the looks of you yard, that your efforts are well rewarded! I love that little planter! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, lots of work. Glad you both are up to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it must be so difficult to get the hedges even
    I trimmed ours once and then realized one entire section was on a severe slant!!
    I claimed it was intentional :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always so impressed and jealous when you mention Tom vacuuming. I asked Mike to vacuum a while back while I went out to grocery shop. He couldn't "find" the vacuum. Oh. well, he does do his share of other things around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a wonderful life, Linda. I am grateful that you share it with me. And you are both very hard workers. Isn't the weather just beautiful? Looks like next weekend will be another fine one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puts me in mind of my own spring cleaning. Now for the motivation! Enjoyed all the photos and I especially loved your planter with the bird house shapes, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Linda, what a great and sunny day for you guys to dig in to your yard work. Everything looks so pretty.

    Thanks so much for stopping by to seem me,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really put so much work into what you do Linda...and it shows

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.