Sunday, April 29, 2012

Upgrading Technology

As my regular readers know, Tom recently purchased a Samsung Tablet/Reader.  He has been learning how to use it.  Since it has Android mobile smart phone technology, and we don't have smart phones, it is a challenge to be learning something completely new.


On the other hand, my new toy is very familiar.
 On Friday I purchased this 14 inch HP Pavilion with 8GB of power, loaded with the familiar Windows 7.  With camera card slot and a disc drive, it has full capacity to do whatever our desktop can do. 

After I bought it Friday I didn't even take it out of the box until Saturday afternoon, when we went over to Tad's house.  Tad is Jake's roommate, a longtime friend, and my Tech Guy.  He advised me on my purchase, and told me to let him do the set up. I was more than happy to follow his instructions.

So yesterday, while we watched the Sounders on his huge TV, Tad set up my new toy.  Her name is Hilda, and she is replacing my little Acer, Suzie.  Suzie was a sweetheart, and fun to carry around and use.  But as technology advanced, she just couldn't keep up.  I will be giving her to son-in-law Corey to modify and play with and it will probably go to one of the kids.

So this is Hilda's first post.  I am ready for my big road trip at the end of the month. I installed Google Chrome to use with Blogger.  And by the way, I see that Blogger made more changes while I was on the coast, so now I'm catching up on that new technology too.

Oh, and the Sounders beat Chicago 2-1!  Go Sounders!

11 comments:

  1. Yea for you and Hilda..I think you two will have a wonderful friendship..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for a new laptop right now. I am waiting for my brother-in-law to return from a business trip in Tennessee to help me with the decision and then the set up. He is beyond computer geek into pure genius. I don't understand a word he says, but i trust him to put the right machine in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have posted while on the road. Hubby's old Dell was so frustrating that I wanted to throw it against the wall.
    The HP is much friendlier, I think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, I love your blog. Thanks for the info about your new laptop because now that we have our 5th wheel, I think that we are going to have to buy a laptop soon. Yours sounds like a great choice.

    Loved your cabin/coast pictures, and I look forward to your big trip so I can see what you guys are up to.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda,
    I really like Hilda. I'm so frustrated with technology. It seems all I do is try to catch up with the latest changes. I realize we have to keep technology moving because the rest of the world is moving on in technology. It's just that technology isn't second nature to me. I didn't grow up with it. Constant change causes me to have anxiety. Sometimes I don't even want to face another day with it, but I must not give in to that, I must keep moving.

    You travel and will put Hilda to good use. I no longer travel. We live in an apartment and within this small space I have a desktop, regular laptop, one the size of Suzi, an iPad, and an iPhone. That's far too many gadgets. I think it's time I made some changes.

    I know you're going to enjoy your new Hilda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great and it looks like Hilda is up to anything you ask of her. I'd like to get one too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! She seems to be up to the task. I am getting ready to replace my old laptop with a MacBook Air, but as my seven-year-old MacBook gives up the ghost, I can fill in with my iPad and iMac. I know it doesn't seem like I need one, but I can't seem to do without "real" keyboards!

    I also like to name my favorite things, too. Hilda seems to be quite up to speed already! Yayy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how fun Linda...I love new technology and all the investigating and finding new things! I'm glad you like your new digs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it fun to buy new gadgets? I love new things. In December, I bought a Lenovo laptop and a ZT desktop. Both are great with lots of memory. Can't wait til you blog about your vacation, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome, Hilda! We expect great things from you.

    Your Tad is my Kevin. Kevin is our tech-savy nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are really with it with technology. I'm about two years or more behind...lol!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.