Thursday, November 17, 2011

Home, Home Is My Range

This has been an interesting process, as those of you who follow me on Facebook already know.


My oven controls went out on Monday.  I called for service on Tuesday and got a same day appointment.  The verdict was that my old range was "condemned".  The needed part was no longer available. 


Tuesday afternoon Tom and I went shopping.  Since we were looking for a white, slide-in, element top range that we could get right away, our choices were limited.  We found what we needed at Sears.  Delivery was scheduled for Thursday.  Hurrah!


Wednesday I got a call that the range had been damaged, so another one was being sent and it would be available at Will Call on Thursday.  Will call?  What about delivery?  The Two different people I talked to said delivery was not indicated, and delivery would be late next week at the earliest.  Tom and I made plans to go get the thing ourselves, and hope a neighbor could help us move in the new one and move out the old one.  


Them about 9:30 last night we got a call from the delivery service guy, saying they would install the range the next day, Thursday, between 1:00 and 3:00.  The delivery man just laughed at our confusion, saying Sears was so backed up and mixed up that they didn't know what they were doing.  He was there helping them make the notification phone calls.  Rejoicing, but with reservation.


This morning I got a robo call telling me that the shipment was delayed, and the range would be available Thursday the 17th.  Well, it is the 17th, so what the h**l does that mean?


We were just about at Costco this morning a little before noon when Tom got a call on his cell.  The delivery guy would be there about 12:15.  Amazing!  I hurried him home, dropped him off, and went back to Costco.


Sure enough, installation was in progress when I got home.

There was a lot of laughing and pounding and drilling going on, so I unpacked my Costco purchases and then went up stairs to hide out. This went on for about an hour.  Turns out we had to pay $60 to install an outlet, since the old stove had been hard wired in.


Finally the installer guys were off.  I emerged from the nether recesses and checked things out.
I have a new kitchen stove!  It works!  The oven was set to 500 for 30 minutes to break it in.
 I read the instruction book, played with the controls, and moved in.
That daily planner to the left of the range is my checklist for each day.  I have checked off "Install new range", and "thaw pot roast".  I'll actually be able to cook that pot roast for my family tomorrow!


All's well that ends well.

9 comments:

  1. What time is dinner? I'd like to drop over.

    The range looks great. I'm glad it all went so smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I'm so glad it turned out so well. It does look great, too. Yayy! Thanksgiving dinner is a GO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect, I have white kitchen appliances too, I'm not into black or steel but have outgrown by harvest yellow and greens of past years..lol! happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about the confusion. Will they never get their act together?! I no longer buy appliances from Sears, preferring Best Buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a fun post, Linda. What a shame that Sears was going through so much disorganization. They could lose customers this way. On the other hand, thank goodness everything happened well before Thanksgiving so you wouldn't have one more headache when you started your meal preparation.

    This year my brother and sister-in-law will prepare the turkey but we'll be having the celebration at our house.

    I can just imagine how gorgeous your Thanksgiving will be. I'll look forward to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This episode kept you on your toes. Enjoy the holiday cooking and baking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good ending to an unexpected adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one handsome, glad-to-be-home range. So glad it arrived before Thanksgiving. Phew.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.