Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Not Everything is Pretty

Another dry day.  We cherish them and try to make the most of them.  I just got back from my three mile afternoon walk and found Tom sitting on a bench in the garden, resting.  He had just finished spading  one of the garden boxes.


This morning he was back at the task of replacing a photinia hedge with peegee type hydrangeas.  The photonia had become diseased and ugly so we finally decided to get rid of it.  But that is no easy job.


The photinia was underplanted by native salal which didn't get trimmed last year and is quite tall.
The remains of the hedge fill the yard waste bin and several sacks.  Actually this is the second batch.  We started this job early last week but unforeseen events delayed us getting back to it until this week.
Tom is bundling up the trunks after I clipped all of the leafy parts off.  They'll get picked up with the yard waste too.
Tom didn't remove the roots so he had to dig new planting holes in and around them. And then he added compost from our bins.


Finally the last plant was going in the ground.
In late winter/early spring we'll trim the salal back to about half height and then maintain it there.

Meanwhile, I was rescuing seedlings from the garden boxes before all of the debris was spaded under.  Because we compost most of the plant material, our vegetable garden acts as a nursery for seeds that are in the soil.  I dug foxglove, golden feverfew, and columbine to transplant around the yard.


Before we headed in to lunch, we harvested a few crops.

The beets will be for dinner tonight. and the parsnips will go into the stew I plan to make Friday.

So, as you see, not everything in the garden is pretty.  But there is still some beauty to be enjoyed as we work, on the ground,


and overhead.

12 comments:

  1. Your hard work produces beautiful results. The last photo is a show stopper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the gardening lesson for the day. Your compost bins are awesome. I need to build some like that. I didn't keep a lot of the trimmings from things I cut down because I just didn't have room in my compost pile, and I didn't want everything blowing around.

    I will have to salvage seedlings from the garden boxes next year. I thought about digging up a few things that had spread, and transplanting them, but it is already freezing here every morning, and we have turned off the water. I even debated about dividing my peonies but decided against it this late. I may rethink it. I just don't want to lose the ones I have by digging them up to divide them.

    You both have created an amazing garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with you. Even your compost bin is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are amazing and your garden reflects your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think your garden ever has a bad day..I need you and hubby to come and help me with my garden...@:}

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was overworked when we were in Illinois last month, but you guys really go over the top! Wow! That's a ton of work and it really shows in your garden! I love it that you get so many good things to eat from your own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's all beautiful because it's green and growing-what a big job...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very informative blog Linda. You are both very hard workers. I specially liked your red-leafed tree in your last photo - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lot of work! But the product is so stunning, I hope you can keep it up for years to come. Oh, and the pictures... I hope you keep 'em coming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw the mud on your hubby's clothes and gloves, I thought of the commercial for Tide. I hope he removed his shoes before entering the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your gardens are an inspiration. Those compost bins are incredible--all that great dirt and then some free plants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, Linda, what an undertaking...very rewarding work though; those veggies looksed scrumptious. I hope you put them to good use in a pot of soup :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.