Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Loss

Yes, the Sounders played tonight, and lost in  the aggregate score of 3-2 in the first round of the conference playoffs.  The season is over, ended on a cold rainy night in November, just as it began  on a cold rainy night in March. We were there.  We'll miss it, but I guess it was time to be done.


But that wasn't the big loss we experienced today.  My mother died during the early morning hours, just two months shy of her 90th birthday.  Much of the family shared the day with her just this last Saturday at the family cider fest.  We all had a chance to hug her and be with her then.  
Here she is with me and my sisters in a photo taken by my niece Katie.


My mother had a long and productive life.  Much of it wasn't easy, including the last several years as she struggled with loss of hearing, eyesight and mobility.  But she soldiered on, not wanting to let her large and loving family down. 


My mother was a loving and caring person who was happiest when she could serve others. But now she was ready to be done.  She slipped quietly away, beyond the surly bonds of earth, to touch the face of God.


We traveled to Oregon early this morning to meet with my siblings, to makes arrangements.  Services will be on Saturday.


Yes, my mother was ready to be done, but her passing is a huge loss to us all.  We will miss her.



12 comments:

  1. Oh Linda... I'm so very sorry. Your mother was very blessed to have you all loving her and spending as much time as you could with her. I am hurting for you, even knowing that her passing was peaceful, gentle and kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kay. Your writing and photos made her so real to us, Linda. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss, Linda. I also feel like I knew her through your posts. I hope her passing was as gentle as she was. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. an important part of your family has departed but she will be there to greet all of you as you one day follow in her footsteps. how wonderful you were able to spend so much great time together so recently and that she was able to slip away gently. My condolences to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for the loss of your Mother Linda. She was a loving soul to you all and I know will be greatly missed. My thoughts are prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your mother's passing. It sounds like she made the decision after a pleasant family weekend that the time had come. My condolences to the family. Even as you grieve her loss you celebrate her life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sad day. Even when someone has had a long life it is never easy to say "Goodbye". What a blessing that you were able to see her so often. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, thanks for sharing your mother with your blogging friends. She was a special lady. I will never forget the mother's day post you wrote about her.

    My thoughts will be with you and your family this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's passing. She was a very special lady. Thanks for letting us know her through your blog posts about her. I'm happy her family could be with her as she slipped away. That is a blessing to be surrounded by family at such a time.

    My thoughts are with you all at this time. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. God help you and your family get through all of the emotions that will certainly surface.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss. God help you and your family get through all of the emotions that will certainly surface.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss, Linda! And I'm so glad you had with her so recently! I know she will be missed, but she is in a better place now! I'm holding good thoughts for you and your family.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.