Sunday, August 26, 2018

Our Beach Trip, Part 2

Wednesday was overcast again, still with smoke. We left the cabin about 9:30 to go to the bakery in Garibaldi, which we hoped would be open. Alas, it was not, so we found another coffee shop and had lattes and a poor substitute Danish. Since the weather was mild, we decided to prowl around Garibaldi a bit, in our usual haunts. 

We visited the elderly gentleman who makes the wonderful stainless steel windspinners, like the one we have. He asked us for a photo of ours with snow on it, and I just found such a photo and emailed it to him. 
Then we walked on the fishing docks, watched a charter boat unloading their catch and talked to a fisherman who was selling tuna from his boat. I asked him a few questions. He had to go 125 miles out to sea for his catch.





One antique shop was open and I had fun looking at every little thing. I found a bundle of three yards of a quality quilting fabric for $8, which I bought. I plan to entertain myself with fun sewing projects this winter. 

Then we stopped at the north jetty of Tillamook Bay. There were quite a few fishermen out in the channel, and the gulls seemed to be resting. The surf was moderate, but it is always fun to watch the rollers break.





We had several brown pelican flyovers.

We spent a lot of time reading. I did my exercises every day, but did very little beach walking. I'm having a lot of trouble doing much extended walking these days, and beach walking is especially hard on my legs. 

We did go out to dinner Wednesday evening, to a little place in Rockaway Beach with a reputation of having a very good chef. Our food was great, sauteed oysters for Tom, Creole shrimp with polenta for me. Back at the cabin we finished off the ice cream.

Thursday morning we tried the Garibaldi Bakery again, but it was still closed. The elderly couple that own it are having some health problems, so I don't know how much longer it will be in business. It's a shame.

So we tried a little bakery right in Rockaway Beach, and found they had lattes, and the most wonderfully flaky apple turnovers and lemon curd Danish. Sorry, no food photos of these places. 
 Smoke on, smoke off, sun shine or clouds, it was always pleasant enough to enjoy the beach. 

Back at the cabin we cleaned and packed. I went for a short walk. We read and had lunch, using up food I wouldn't have to pack back home. We left at 1:00, stopped in Wheeler to explore a favorite antique mall, and then drove back country roads for hours to get to my sister Laurie's house for dinner and a visit. We left there full of good food, and with crops from their garden: English cucumbers, green beans, and pears. 

It was about 10:30 when we rolled into our driveway, and as we opened the car door we were greeted with the strong odor of wood smoke. It seems we missed the two clear days they had and the smoke had rolled back in.

Since then we have had breakfast with friends, shopped for groceries, picked our crops, including a big basket of tomatoes.


We spent three hours Saturday morning at the Bellevue Botanical Garden Art in the Garden show with our gardening group. There will be lots of photos for more posts to come. Saturday evening we went to the movies, and saw Crazy Rich Asians. It was fun watching all of the extravagance.

Now we will settle in at home and work on eating healthily, lots of vegetables, and try to lose those pounds we put on by eating forbidden food on our vacation. 

14 comments:

  1. Nigel and I went to the Art in the Garden Show too! Looking forward to your post. Look at all those wonderful tomatoes you picked! When I'm on vacation I throw caution to the winds too, and eat ice cream and baked goods like they're going out of style (wait, I do that all the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those huge rocks along the NW coast. Vacations are great, but it is nice to get back into the home routine afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two always manage to use your down time well and you also managed to get in some mostly clean air. Some might sit in the sun and enjoy a good book but you explore. That was quite a harvest of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. I love to explore, and I get Tom to go with me, even though he would be content to sit in the cabin and read.

      Delete
  4. I saw the movie Crazy Rich Asians with a couple of friends last week. Although it was quite fantastic - what the wealthy have and can do, I became even more content with what we have. Ordinary "common" lives that appreciate simple things without fanfare and glitz. Your home and garden, road trips and excursions are far more enjoyable to me. Mahalo for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this lovely comment. I agree, common lives can be wonderful, but I never forget how fortunate I am to be able to have our home and garden and to go exploring.

      Delete
  5. That's a bountiful amount of tomatoes. Will you be able to keep up with eating them 'as is' or do you have another use for them? ( I ask because I am in the stage now of hardly being able to keep up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gave away some last week. We might again. We eat a lot of them fresh, but if there are too many, I just freeze them whole in zip lock bags, to be used in soups our stews in the winter.

      Delete
  6. We always need a good break. It's good to upset our routine sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah forbidden food or constant eating for entertainment on vacaitons i still have an extra 5 pounds to get rid of. smoke seems to be everywhere...lovely beach photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tomatoes look wonderful. I have a few just beginning to ripen. Nothing like yours, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad to hear about the couple who run the Garibaldi Bakery. You and Tom take the most wonderful trips! Tom and I went to the Bellevue Botanical Garden Art in the Garden show today. This was my first visit to that show. It was fun to see all the fun stuff but the garden really was the star.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tomatoes look wonderful! Good to hear you had a nice trip too bad about the smoke, sure hope the fires go out soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just caught up by looking back at your beach trip, part 1 and part 2. I loved seeing your family again. What a big nice group of folks. I want to take a vacation like the ones you and Tom take. The food, the ice cream, shopping and sight-seeing together. You two make it all look like such fun.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.