Saturday, August 11, 2018

Puyallup Farmers Market

Rain/thunder showers and cooler temps were forecast for Saturday - blessed relief - and we decided to make it a "runaway day". We drove south to the town of Puyallup, Tom's home town, where they present an abundant farmers market on Saturdays. 

Besides flowers and produce from farms local and east of the mountains, there are lots of crafts to be studied. It's good entertainment for a couple of hours, and provided lots of photo ops.
 This was the last day for this nursery, so they were selling off their stock. I couldn't resist a $3.00 heuchera.!
 And of course I can't resist taking photos of flowers. 




 After we arrived in warm sunshine, the clouds began to move in. We continued to check out everything out in the open, saving the covered pavilion for if and when the rain began to fall.

 The sunflowers are wonderful in August. 



 Apparently these giant hibiscus plants are hardy here. I admired them but was not tempted to buy. 

 On to the produce stalls and the bounty of late summer.

 The Puyallup Valley produces a lot of raspberries. 
 I bought a bunch of beans, since ours aren't producing much. and a couple of ears of corn. 

 Aren't these radishes beautiful!
 Cherries, peaches, apricots, plums, Oh My!




 I bought a few baby cucumbers too. I like them best small and crunchy.



 It began to sprinkle as we moved into the pavilion. 

 There Tom succumbed to temptation and bought a box of blackberries after he was allowed to taste one. 
From the market we  moved on, first to a coffee break at Starbucks, and then to several of our favorite nearby nurseries. Those will get their own posts. 

We managed to have a fun runaway day without getting wet. Back home we see that there was very little rain here, unfortunately. 

13 comments:

  1. we are needing rain to clear out the and put out the fires in California and other places. The flowers and produce look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had almost enough rain to wet the pavement. Barely. A very nice change from the heat, though. I enjoyed the whole day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them. I love wandering around Farmer's Markets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice. I’d love to visit that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a colorful Farmers Market! Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me want to go back to our farmer's market again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a nice place to visit. Beautiful and colorful flowers. Loved to buy veggies and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flowers and fresh fruit -- perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all not only have great flowers and plants but the produce is amazing. Wish we had a farmer's market here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is one of the best farmers' markets in the area but I haven't been for quite a while because Saturdays are usually about garden touring. Everything looks so colorful and delicious. Glad you had a good time in Tom's hometown and look forward to seeing your nursery visit posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed going along with you to the farmers market. Those bouquets of flowers were amazing; so colourful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love farmer's markets and this one looks extra special! I have tons of green beans, cucumbers, beets, peas, berries, and cabbage, but my corn is pathetic and I didn't get any dill at all to grow this year. I used to find chicken manure by the truckload every year, but all the chicken farms have become housing projects. Even with a big garden, I always find things to buy at farmer's markets! The flower arrangements are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been to the Puyallup farmer's market in a couple of years. It really is a good one! Thanks for sharing your photos, I enjoyed seeing what I was missing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.