Friday, April 10, 2020

A Good Friday

I am not spending the day fasting and praying, but I am practicing gratitude and contemplating beauty.  Who couldn't on this glorious spring day.

I have no idea what the news is today. For once I did not turn on the radio. My sciatica was bad again this morning, so when I finally got up and got going, the walk out to get the paper in the sunshine, with bird song, was enough to get me loosened up and appreciative of this day that I have been given.

At 10:00 we joined three others from our Friday breakfast group in a Zoom meet up. The 40 minutes went all to fast, so we plan to do another mid-week. This time we could see and hear everyone, unlike last week. We oldsters are getting our technology figured out, and getting to know our devices a bit better. "Oh, that's where my camera is!"

Then I had choices to make - what to do next- and I chose indulgence. I prepared a basket, went out into the sunshine, and had tea in the garden.
The bench in the lower garden is where the morning sun is. It was so warm I had to remove my sweat shirt.


I read on my new Kindle.
 My old Kindle is at least ten years old. When it comes to book reading I am exclusively a Kindle reader, appreciative of enlarged font and adjustable light levels. Lately the battery seemed to be running low too fast, and then one day when I tried to charge it, it wouldn't charge. Oh oh. I tried a few things I found on the Internet that didn't work and decided it must be time for a new one. Since we use of our Amazon Visa credit card for almost everything, we have a healthy balance of reward points most of the time, so I ordered a new Kindle, Free.  Then that night I plugged in my old Kindle so I could read at bedtime, and what do you know, it charged over night. So now I might have two, but my new one is a pretty blue. 
It's after noon now, and I have just enough time for my exercises before our 1:00 lunch hour if I get going.

Today is walking day, so I hope I can. It should be 70 degrees by this afternoon.

I hope you are having a good Friday too. 

9 comments:

  1. Is your new Kindle one of those water tight ones you can take in the bath? The old one looks like a Paperwhite. If so, I'd like to know how they compare after you use them a bit. I can't even read my old paperbacks; the print is way too small and crowded, so I am getting replacements on Kindle where I can enlarge the print and monkey around with the brightness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new Kindle is water tight and has more adjustable settings. I haven't explore many of them, but I believe it can also act as an audio book with ear phones or blue tooth.

      Delete
  2. I love my Kindle too. It makes such a difference to be able to enlarge the print. You sure had a beautiful place to sit out with your tea! Happy Easter to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sewing face masks and it started to become a chore rather than enjoyment. A friend had sent me a link to Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman singing "Time to Say Goodbye". From there, YouTube had a whole bunch of related song videos. I put on my airpods and listened to Miserere with Bocelli and Zucherro (he is like the European Mike Jagger) and I found longer videos with audio on various songs and artist. As the music streamed through into my ears, I started sewing again. Time flew by and I finished up making 20 masks with wonderful songs transporting me from boredom to joy, and sometimes sadness.

    Glad you enjoyed your day. Your garden with a place to sit is like icing on a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know you indulged in tea and goodies sitting in the sunshine. Wasn't it just a lovely day???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sciatic worries me. It's a very unpleasant condition to have to live with. You did take advantage of a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect spring day to enjoy...we were sunny and temps in 70s. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a beautiful day here, too. I didn't get farther than my front porch, though. Congratulations on your new free kindle! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can never have too many Kindles, especially in a power outage.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.