Saturday, April 4, 2020

Cat Friends

This morning I was greeted with this photo of four years ago on my FaceBook Memories. 
 Yes, it's Josy Cat, our dearly departed, beloved kitty, spread out full length on my lap.  She has been gone three and a half years now, but I still miss her.
That reminded me that I was worried about our borrowed cat, Mewdini/Charlie. We had not seen him for weeks now. Either something had happened to him or his keepers had him isolated during the virus threat.
This photo of  Charlie (Mewdini) was obviously taken last April, because those yellow trillium are just about in that same stage now.

So I emailed Peter, our neighbor and Mewdini's owner, to see what was happening with our cat. I was anxious for an answer.

Meanwhile, I got going for the day, and I took my phone/camera with me to walk out to get the newspaper. The sun was shining and the robins were singing, and I lingered in the garden.

Down by the deck, I heard a persistent meowing. Was it Charlie? I called, "Kitty, kitty, kitty", and a big fluffy, brownish not-Charlie cat appeared. It wandered all around me, persisting in it's plaintiff meowing. It came on the deck and self-petted,  rubbing against all of the deck chairs.

It came closer and closer, while I sat and waited. It seemed a bit cranky that I wasn't petting it, but it wasn't quite ready. Stranger danger. 
 Finally it got close enough to be stroked. That seemed to go OK, so it jumped up on my bench, still self-petting
Well, OK, I guess I passed muster. We became friends. It enjoyed not having to rub against the furniture to get its strokes.  

In fact, it meowed quite unhappily when I stopped petting it and got up to leave. It followed me for a while, and then slipped through a fence gate. I think it might belong next door. (And yes, I washed my hands and my phone thoroughly after petting someone else's cat)

Later in the morning I heard back from Peter. "Thanks so much for your concern!  We are keeping Mewdini isolated during the quarantine....We know there are no reports of virus being spread through pets, but we don't know all of the homes Mewdini visits so we're just playing it safe. He prefers to run free but we keep him company and he's being well fed and getting exercise through various cat toys. I know he misses you and Tom. I'll send you some photos of him later."

I am relieved  that our sweet borrowed cat is being well taken care of and no harm came to him. My heart is warmed by our mutual love for this dear cat and by my caring neighbors who don't mind sharing. 

Just got this photo from Peter- Mewdini in quarantine.

11 comments:

  1. So glad Charlie is okay...what ever will you name your new friend?

    I know how you feel missing Josie:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten that you used to have a kitty. Good to know Mewdini is safe and well. Strange that one cat 'disappears' and another pops up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Josy Cat. It is so difficult to lose our special furry friends. We lost two special cats nearly five years ago. You always miss them. I'm glad Charlie is okay! That is a good picture of him but he looks like he really wants out. Your new cat visitor is very handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet! Perhaps Josy sent Charlie so you'd have a cat, but she wasn't about to let him live with you.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It never occurred to me that a pet could pass on the virus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Josie very well, but I was shocked it has been so long! And it's nice to know that your borrowed kitty is okay, and that another one has come into your life, just to keep you company. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know Mewdidi is fine and well cared for. Nice to have another visitor if only fleeting. Good you and Tom are staying safe. What a weird time.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful cats! I am more of a dog person but those are really great looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad seeing Charlie in jail but understand since he was a social butterfly and that's not good these days. Hope the new cat was well fed. Can't tell when they are so fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although there is probably no risk to petting strange animals I think it is safer for all not to at this point. On my walks I tell all those animals I usually pet that I'm sorry I can't right now but once this is over there will be double and triple pets in their futures. I miss the calm that comes from touching a creature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to hear that Charlie is safe and well. What will Charlie think about the interloper? You might have some loud opposition. I didn't know you had a cat previously. It was a handsome cat. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.