Saturday, April 11, 2020

Changed Plans

Today is Jake's 45th birthday. As often happened over the years, it falls on or near Easter. Next Friday, April 17th is Irene's 15th birthday. We had plans to celebrate everyone on Easter Sunday, in what we were calling Spring Fest. 

That's not happening. Because of social distancing, we will not be getting together. Jake will be celebrating his birthday alone at the Whidbey cabin. Since he is still working, being careful but still not isolated, we kept our six foot distance when we visited him Thursday evening to deliver his birthday pie. 

He told us about his current work project, surveying the upper Skykomish River. The company he works for contracts with King County, and his work usually involves bodies of water. He and his crew of two are mapping the river banks and the river bed, taking readings about every 1000 feet. They use poles to measure depth and take elevation readings using high tech surveying equipment. They work ten hour days, four days week. Jake said they work hard but the work is fun and the location is beautiful. He sent us some photos. 





They need to get the work done before the snow melts in the mountains and causes to rivers to rise. 

Jill really wanted to host a family Easter, but we decided we really shouldn't do that. We are making some compromises though. We are planning to go over to their place in the afternoon, where Tom will hide eggs and we will hang around outside for the egg hunt and some six foot visiting. Jill is cooking dinner for her kids and she will give us ours to take away. I am happy to at least get to share some time with them and do some Eastery things. 

Irene's birthday is still in the planning, but it will involve connecting via Zoom. That story is yet to be determined.

These are important family occasions, so we are doing our best to commemorate them in a responsible way. 

Happy Easter, everyone. May you all experience blessings of joy in some way. 



11 comments:

  1. Zoom was how I was able to watch my grand daughter's wedding. Be sure and practice ahead it's pretty easy and fun to see everyone. Better to be safe until we all get the go ahead to socialize...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trillium made me very happy.
    For several complicated reasons, Easter is not a holiday I have any particular fond attachment to. It doesn't even necessarily say "Spring!" very often in Vermont. It mostly makes me sad. A dinner with family or friends is a distraction but I won't get even that this year so I will just spend a Sunday like it was any other day in our stay at home world.
    Not feeling sorry for myself -- that is just the way it is. I do get a virtual kick out of your family's many celebrations,

    SO, YOU, on the other hand, have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful trillium. I am going to head over to the opening of our much changed farmers' market. I am curious to see what they have done to make it safe and will get some pictures, hopefully. And bread, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow does Jake have a cool job. What a scenic office he has. Glad you at least got to get his pie to him. Thank goodness for technology to make gatherings somewhat possible. Hope Irene is not too bummed her birthday will be scaled back.
    Have the best Easter possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a joyful and safe Easter. I'm glad you are able to spend some time, at a distance, with your family.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your Jake! I hope you have a good get together! I think this stay at home stuff is hrder on the teens...best wishes for Irenes Birthday, our Granddaughter Maddie turns 22 that same day...they all grow up too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jake's job! Surveying wilderness areas would be such peaceful and beautiful work. This is a difficult Easter for us not getting together with family. Enjoy your egg hunt time! Our grands are grown and I really miss those days.

    Happy Easter to both you and Tom and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I too am a little jealous of Jake's job. The location would be a tremendous benefit. I hope you all have a happy healthy Easter. Cherish your moments together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to Jake. It's great that he enjoys his job.
    We went to youngest son's place to help him get his garden space ( which consists of raised boxes) ready, all the while trying to stay well apart. It helps to make life seem closer to normal to be able to do ordinary things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Jake! Such a beautiful place! Don't know if I would be able to work. I would probably stand and stare at the surroundings. Hope you all have a very nice Easter. I miss seeing your family.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.