Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Whidbey Island Spring

On Wednesday we took a day trip to the Whidbey Island cabin, to do a bit of garden tending and to enjoy the tulips we have planted there over the years.

As you may recall, each year we order a new supply of tulip bulbs from the Skagit Valley Growers, plant them in gallon cans, and plant the cans in our home garden in the fall. We treat tulips as annuals here, because they do not persist well in our city garden. When the tulips have finished blooming here, we lift the cans of bulbs, set them in a back corner of our yard and let them dry out. Then in the fall we take the bulbs to the Whidbey cabin garden, where we plant them in the sandy soil.

The tulips like the sandy soil and the fact that they get very little water during the summer. They will re-bloom for several years here. While we do not get the benefit of the full show, family members who use our cabin love them, and the cabin garden is the talk of the beach road walkers, who thoroughly enjoy the display.

















 We worked for about an hour in the garden, visited with family members and neighbors, enjoyed the praise of walkers-by, and sat in the sun on the deck to eat our lunch. After lunch, we took a short walk over to the beach and on the beach road. 
 Then we cleaned up everything we had touched inside, packed up our tools, and drove the short distance to Bayview Garden Center, where we fulfilled some of our urge to go plant shopping.
 The day before, at home, we had made a mental list if what we needed to refresh containers in our city garden. Here's our cart. 
 And since we were sure the pots we have wouldn't hold all or our growing collection of Cana, we bought a new pot, too, 
We figure since we are saving all that money by not eating out, we can spend it on our garden. 


11 comments:

  1. That garden on Whidbey is really beautiful. I like seeing all those tulips "in the wild" like that. Those pretty orange ones are my favorites. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a variety of colors! I didn't realize that there was a long process in growing and looking after tulips. Obviously, I don't have tulips here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure we are allowed to buy plants here. I think they are not considered essential. But your yard certainly makes others so happy in these awful times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then you have to take all those plants home on the ferry? What a fun outing it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your colorful garden. You are most fortunate to be able to go to Whidbey Island and spend time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why the beach road walkers make sure to pass your place. Such a treat for them as well as your family members. Just beautiful. Be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tulips look great in this garden. I can see why everyone likes them. Lucky you to get to go shopping for plants. We had a second night of freeze last night. I have some mushy plants. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Tulips are very impressive!
    I see you bought some more Heucheras. A number of mine didn't make it through the winter and I'm not sure why. Obviously I will have to replace then. Oh well, there are always new colours to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice garden - made with "leftovers"! I am saving money also because of not going out shopping and eating. My small yard can't handle more plants so I will enjoy your plants even more. It is almost time to cut down my papaya trees. One has junk fruit and another is beginning to yield smaller sized papaya. I will grow a Royal Poinciana tree in its place and plant a new papaya seedling in the back yard. We are getting rain and sun and the plants love it, especially the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tulips are absolutely lovely. I can understand the walkers offering their praise.

    No garden centers are open here yet and won't likely be for another weeks. Not only are we still getting frost at night, they aren't considered an essential service. I'm hopeful by the time the weather warms up enough for planting they'll be open.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tulips are stunning! What a nice day for you to enjoy that garden and go shopping for plants too. I am not sure there will be bedding plants this year...we will see:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.