Monday, April 20, 2020

My Hall Tree

My hall tree tells a story of life in the time of COVID-19.

You may recall my post of March 4th, where I extolled the joys of our Sounders season opener.  The match was scheduled for noon on Sunday, March 1st. We rode the light rail into the city early, so we could have breakfast at The Market.
 At the match, which the Sounders won, we met up with Jill and Irene. We were there with 43,000 other soccer fans, all having a great time. 
Later that day the family all met up at a restaurant to celebrate Jill's birthday
That all seems like a world ago now.

Before the March 1st Sounders opener, I dug out all of our supporter gear from where it had been stored in the guest room closet. I hung up the scarves we would use for this season, and loaded up the stadium bags and the hall tree basket with all of the hats and gloves and ponchos and other paraphernalia we would need for the winter into spring home matches, We were ready to go.

That first week in March, the corona virus began to spread. The first case in the US had been discovered January 21st in a man living near Seattle who had traveled to China. He was  hospitalized. But then the virus erupted in a long term care facility and the first death occurred February 29. Warnings began to circulate that the virus was now in the general population and care should be taken to wash hands and not touch your face, but life went on as normal. 43,000 people attended a soccer match in Seattle. 

The second Sounders match was scheduled for Saturday March 7th. There were warnings but still no restrictions. We debated if we should go, but decided we would use precautions but go as planned. There were 30,000 people at the stadium. We used latex gloves on the light rail, washed our hands and wore warm gloves at the match, and cleaned everything when we got home. 

By March 11 we were in lock down. On March 12th schools were closed. On March 15th bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and all social gathering spots were closed. Sporting events were postponed or cancelled. Our Sounders season had come to a halt.

By now all of us have had similar experiences. The history of COVID-19 is being written. We have no idea what or when the final chapter will be recorded.

Several weeks ago, as I was dusting during another Monday house cleaning day, I looked at the hall tree, sighed, and started taking everything down. You can't put your life on hold. You have to move on.
But I didn't stuff it all back in the closet. It is all just folded up and stored in the basket. We move on, but with hope. 

15 comments:

  1. This will pass, though it seems to be taking forever. Almost like having to wear a cast for a broken arm. And then it becomes just a memory of a time that was difficult. I do hope you get to watch your Sounders play again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always hope But our lives are not going to change this year. I hate that, but accept it as biology at it most natural. We are in this for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wonder what our "new normal" will look like. It won't be this dire, because people have to return to work if they can, or the economy will collapse. I'm a bit scared about the future but I try to stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad but that is our reality right now. We move on but with hope. That about sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your last sentence. we have to move on and hopefully it's without the monster controlling our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post touched my heart. I do hope things get back to normal soon. There are so many things you and your family enjoy together. Glad you were still able to celebrate Irene's birthday with a Zoom party ?? and I don't even know what Zoom is, except it's on the computer. Your yard is absolutely beautiful! And, so are the flowers at Whidbey Island. I don't know how you and Tom do it. Sorry to be commenting on three posts. I look back and just have to mention those I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had high hopes for 2020 and a new decade on New Year's Day. Now I am focused on just this day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos of the family. We are on lockdown here in Hawaii, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope for better days is what keeps us goiing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems so odd now to see people so close together. Those were the days. There is hope for a Sounder season yet for you and a Marlin's one for me. Slim--but still hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, we do. With a lot of hope...
    Your family is beautiful! The grands are grown!! Don't know why the picture from my post didn't go through for you. Please email me your email and I will send it. karianohome@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Move on for sure. Hopefully you will be able to use all your stuff next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just checking my tablet and like to check your blog early on at least you saw one good game and can hope for more --some other time. I did earlier check and found the invitation for breakfast and regretted missing that as I was resting bed early. Hope I can try another time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have to do the best we can everyday to stay safe and it could be a long long time before we can get back to normal. So many changes for so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a terrific post, Linda. It really documents a time we hope will end sooner rather than later. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you’ll see the Sounders win again soon.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.