Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Improving

The garden this morning. Sunny day, skipping my cares away.

It has been a month now since I overdid the gardening at the Whidbey cabin, aggravated my bulging disc, and set of an attack of sciatica. During this month of not being able to walk much or work in the garden, I have almost felt sick, not because I have any of the virus symptoms, but because I was so limited by stiffness and pain. It has been depressing in this time of non-stop national illness news.

I think I am finally improving. I have modified my physical therapy exercises to do those that help and change those that don't. I have been able to work out on my stationary bike without it bothering my back. I began to take short walks. Now, in the last few days, I have been able to go back to my two mile walks.  I'm not "skipping" my cares away. My back is still stiff and standing up really straight is not happening, and I am relying on my walking stick for stability, but I'm walking again. 

Then yesterday I got down in the garden dirt for the first time in a month. I spent two hours, with a rest break, clipping off the old fronds on the sword ferns, a job I started over a month ago. 
The new fronds are beginning to unfurl. 

There is so much going on in the garden right now, especially down low to the ground.
 The primroses have been especially beautiful this year.


 All of the primroses I have in the ground started out in the porch pots, like these.

Each year I plant the potted plants out in the garden when I put in the summer flowers. Most of them come back.
Violets are thriving and spreading. 
 Daffodils are still blooming in the colder lower garden.
And in the upper garden, it's happening! Tulip Time is beginning!
Tom is moving his bonsai trees out from under winter shelter, grooming them, and putting them back on display.
 This is my job for today, working on shaping up the succulent pots, trimming, sorting out plants that need to be replaced, re-potting some, making them ready for display on the patio later in the month. 
It feels great to be outside, working in the spring garden. I just have to remember not to overdo it. 

13 comments:

  1. Hurray! You are such a trooper. I went out to water my plants this morning - and there was no water! Evidently a water main break from early on has disrupted service until the repair is done. Very strange, not to have water. I couldn't wash my face, and I had only one flush for the toilet. I do collect the water that drips from my air conditioners so I was able to water the thirstier plants for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news that you're on the mend. It's so hard not to overdo bending when the sun is shining and the weeds are growing. I have learned through bitter experience to pace myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your back is better. I know how painful that kind of back problem can be. Your flowers are beautiful and tell Tom I enjoy seeing his bonsai trees every year! You two be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color!
    Glad to hear you are on the mend. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Linda, I am so sorry about your hurting back. Only someone who has had the herniated disc and sciatica can fully understand the pain involved. There have been times that the pain is so severe, it brings tears. I sure hope you continue to improve. Your gardens are beautiful. It takes a lot of work, but that's the best part. Please take care. Will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sciatica is one of the most miserable conditions you can have. I hope you've go on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you well with your back issues. The spring flowers are so pretty! Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's too easy to overdue...be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to hear that your back is better. And your garden is lovely, as always. I so enjoy seeing your pretty flowers. Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are getting back in the game. I know how frustrating it is to be sidelined. Your garden is just lovely. Do take it easy and slow. You will get back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you are moving around better without too much pain. You have a beautiful garden, especially the bonsai, the tulips and the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gardens and plants are beautiful as usual! Love to see your tulips as it will probably be the only tulip festival around! Good to hear you are moving better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to hear that your back is improving. Those bulging discs are no fun at all. Your garden is so colorful even at this time of year. I love those electric colors of the primroses. I wish I could grow them. I have tried.
    I must say I adore Tom's bonsai collecting. They really make an exclamation point when interspersed with other plants like the succulents or standing upon their display mounts. Do enjoy this beautiful weather. It is cold here again.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.