Saturday, October 3, 2009

Major Purchase

Well, yesterday we signed a contract for a new heating/cooling system, a new efficient furnace and a heat pump. Big money. I had to think of Kay of Musings, and the time and thought she puts into her purchases. I'm afraid we are just the opposite. Once we decide to do something, we just do it. So it was this time. When our house was built 31 years ago Tom had duct work put in that would support a heat pump system. He has always wanted one, but the cost was too high during our child rearing years. Our furnace has never given us any problems for all of these years, without any service ever, and it started right up a few days ago when I turned it on for the first time this fall. But it's getting old and it's not efficient according to today's standards. So with the rebates and tax credits being offered, now was the time to do it. We got two bids, and one company was so much more thorough and helpful than the other that it was no contest. The only question was "Should we do this?" So we are. We're on the waiting list. The work will be done most likely in early November. If all goes according to plan there will be just one day without heat. We talked about the trade off of using our funds for home improvement vs travel. We sort of came to the conclusion that our European travel had been wonderful but we were no longer compelled to go across the pond. We would be happy to limit our travels to our own country for a while. And with that decision made, I will let the technicians do their job. I am finally learning to let others do the worrying where I have no control. It works as long as you are able to just pay them the money.

7 comments:

  1. Hey! I am right with you. I have lived here 20 years, and the hot water heater was here[obviously] when I bought the house. I figure...it can't have much time left. So, before it goes, I have made plans to replace it and in upgrading efficiency, make use of the tax rebate that's offered. Wahoo for both of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Linda! I'm thrilled for you. Gosh! A major purchase without the major agonizing before it. What must that feel like?

    As for travel...
    After our next trip back to Japan I do believe we're also planning to stay within the U.S. We'd like to visit the National Parks again just because we've been watching Ken Burn's PBS special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! We made a big investment last year in new windows throughout the house and we couldn't believe what a difference they made. The heating system will be next! Guess it's always something! Looks as though we're going to have beautiful weather for the next week and I can deal with that!

    Enjoy your weekend, Linda!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you=heat pump was great-we have one. my next purchase would be some landscaping for front yard-want to put in a stream bed and cactii. Also want to take a trip to Europe with hubby whose never been would like to got to Scandinava where I have friends we can visit. Only problem is my hubby doesn't like to fly maybe a cruise?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Major purchase for sure. I hem and haw over everything and have finally started to just go with the flow, as they say! I do believe it is best to shop around but that almost puts me over the edge, how much shopping around should I do, should we go there, should we...But having your home cozy and warm will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea, schedual it before it scheduals you. Our water heater went out a couple of months ago (it was not even 5 years old). We were without water for three days, not counting the days when the water was just mildly warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a lot of money that isn't fun to spend.. but we had to put in a new one too when we moved in here... You will have more trips too.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.