Monday, January 4, 2010

My New Toy

This is the new serger that Tom surprised me with as a Christmas gift. I was completely blown away. After things settled down and the kids were gone, I got it out of the box. Then I looked at the instruction manual. Then I felt completely intimidated. Today I took my sewing machine in for service and took along my new serger to say "help". It's great to have the support of a sewing shop for machine service, advice, and instruction. Sally is wonderful. She showed me how to thread the machine and gave me a bit of instruction so I can at least try it out. And then I signed up for "learning your machine" classes. My first class is Saturday. Before then I will practice threading, and maybe a few simple procedures. What will I do with my new toy? That's one of the things I hope to learn. I've never had a serger before. But I do know it can save me time and effort with sewing projects. And I have a feeling I will be making some fan flags for Jake for the next Sounders season. Thankfully, Tom bought an extended warranty and service package, so if I break it, we've got it covered! Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! What a great guy that Tom is! You are so lucky. I'll be looking forward to seeing your new creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun, i've always wanted a serger to make t shirts. have fun with your new machine. we'll be looking forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice gift! I used to want one of those back when I was a sewer. I don't sew anymore. I got a new machine a year ago and have barely used it. Too lazy to learn anything new. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a serger once in the olden days, when they first came out to make your underwear and tee-shirts. Can't remember that I used it a lot. I think that was about the time sewing left me in a 'poof' never to return.

    I have no doubt you are going to find lots of ways to use yours. I suspect you'll come up with all kinds of things for your grandchildren and especially Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great gift! I know you'll have lots of fun with that one!! I love your photos of our misty, foggy day! I love to get photos of the rain drops on each twig and branch of the trees on days like this!

    Have fun with your new Serger!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I guess you've got your work cut out for you, huh? Can't wait to see what you make..!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.