Monday, June 20, 2011

Running Away To the Sea - Part I

Wednesday was dreary and drippy in Seattle, but we packed up and were on our way to the Oregon Coast, to stay at the little red cabin on Rockaway Beach.


The weather gradually improved.  We made coffee and potty stops.  In Astoria, we stopped to check on the resident sea lions at the docks. 
This one was in good voice.
 The weather wasn't bad when we arrived, and we soon hit the beach.
 You can't keep Irene out of the surf, and Isaac is a willing companion.
That lasted until Irene  fell in.  Then it was time for a hot bath and a warm dinner cooked by Grandma.  After dinner we went for a walk.
Thursday morning began at the bakery in Garibaldi, as it does every morning for Jill when she is at the beach.
 This morning she stopped at three items. She usually has four.
 We all enjoyed a goody.


Then to walk it off, it was time for a field trip.  We headed to Cape Meares State Park, to find two special trees and a lighthouse.


 There, up ahead, is the champion spruce tree.










The other special tree, also a spruce, but deformed early in it's life, is the Octopus Tree.
 Isaac found 'wild 'life'.
 The views here on the cape are wonderful.
 Off to the lighthouse.


And then it was time to head back to the cabin for lunch, and then out on the beach.


 Back in the surf!
 Mom keeps an eye on the wave jumpers.
 That evening we had a beach fire and made s'mores, of course.


 The sunset wasn't spectacular,
 but the moon rise was!
And that was just the first day and a half!

10 comments:

  1. You create such wonderful memories for Irene and Isaac. The time on the Oregon Coast, with the 'Smores, must have been spectacular. What fortunate grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Linda, simply fabulous! All the pictures are so special but I love the lighthouse and the octopus tree. and you my friend, are looking phenomenal with your weight loss. Keep it up!
    thanks so much for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That day and a half was just great, Linda. Loved all the photos of beautiful skies and surf, fabulous trees and your lovely energetic grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos remind me how beautiful the state of Oregon is. Hope I get back there one day. Great pictures, you all look like you are having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an idyllic place to spend what looks like a perfect day.

    I wish I could eat like Jill and look like her! What is her secret?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That was a pretty spectacular set of pictures, if you ask me. And not a bad sunset, but that moon! Thanks for bringing all this into my life, too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. what fun, we stayed on the oregon coast two summers ago and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful shots of the trees and the moon! I always chuckle when I see people wearing sweaters on the beach -- you won't see that in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holey Moley, Linda! These are totally incredible photos. I take it these photos are with your super duper camera? I can see you've mastered all the functions. Each photo is just so beautifully captured. Wow! I am completely impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lin and I went to Cape Meares on our honeymoon 26 years ago. I remember the octopus tree though I didn't remember it was a spruce. That is a lovely section of coast. Great to be reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.