Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Day For Gardening

Last week we planned out our raised bed vegetable and cut flowers boxes and made a list of seeds. This morning at 10:00, which is our typical hour in the morning to actually get going, list in hand, we headed to a local nursery to shop for seeds. I was also looking for a new pot to go with plants we bought last weekend when we went to a container gardening class. We're breaking the rules by having mixed rather than matched pots, but we prefer variety. Back home we planted up new pots and reworked old ones, leaving space for items to be added later when it gets warmer. Not that it wasn't warm today! Up to 59 degrees,with the sun on the patio, I was working in short sleeves and getting hot. To clean up, first you have to make a mess, and then you finish by cleaning everything up again. Tom got the lawn mowed while I was finishing up on the patio. Then I cleaned off all of the pollen scuzz on the patio furniture, and we still had time to sit and enjoy some wine and cheese before the sun's rays got too low to warm us. I have been concentrating on indoor projects mostly, although I did get the roses pruned Thursday afternoon, so I hadn't really been in the yard much. Before coming in I took a look around to see what I could see. I found a clump of Trillium coming into bloom! Known as Wake Robins in the old days, they surely mean the robins will soon be appearing on the lawn to catch the worms. With daylight saving time starting next weekend, maybe I'll be up early enough to see the early birds catching those worms.
The native shrub Red Currant is also coming into bloom,
And the magnolia stellata is in full bloom.
Last weekend I cleaned up the pots on the front porch and stuffed them with primroses and pansies.
Tomorrow morning we'll be out bright and early to help set up a plant sale for the Northwest Perennial Alliance. We may come home with a few more plants. It sounds like we have tomorrow afternoon yet before winter returns to the northwest. Rain and temps in the 40's with mountain snow are in the forecast. You can bet there will be some grumbling, because we are all spoiled.
-
What a glorious early spring-before-it's-officially-spring we've had.

8 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful that you both love gardening and do it together. I wish I had that in my life. I can't believe you already need to mow the lawn. Mine is still brown! Ha! Your plants look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is that time again, time to plan and dream of the summer harvest. I keep checking my fruit trees to see if the ovaries are swelling and check the beds to see what seeds are sprouting.
    There is wonder in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you take time to enjoy your garden labors as well as work. We had 68 degrees today and then a rain storm-a special treat for us. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess warmth is relative. When I turn the a/c on and it hits 75, I always put on a sweater. So, 59 degrees is NOT warm to me! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should write a book about gardening...step by step because you have a wealth of info to share. Impressive and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plants look gorgeous, the yard is beautiful....and mowing already! We are having a mini heatwave today - 50S! I think I would love to live on your side of the country right about now. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed getting caught up with you. We, too, are enjoying a mild winter. Your yard is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This time the tables are reversed Linda. You are planting your spring gardens while our summer gardens are now aging and due to have the old plants pulled out and winter flowers to replace them. Pansies and stocks are the flowers we will use this year, but I hasten to add, not together. - Dave

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.