Sunday, March 21, 2010

Proof That It's Spring

I spent most of yesterday afternoon in the garden. It was actually fun to get down and crawl around on the ground, clipping and weeding. It was warm and sunny and the birds were singing.
Tom has been doing a lot of work in the yard while I have been inside working on projects. I'm almost through with those and I'm ready to get back to gardening! It's more fun when we work side by side.
The first tulips are opening. I love this pink tulip with the red wall flower.
Soon this area will be bright with color.
The scent of hyacinth wafted over the patio as I sat in the sun after my work was done.
At one point Tom said "Come here. I want to show you something!"
There in the rose covered cherry tree was this hanging bird nest made of moss and lichen. We watched and saw the residents enter. They looked like bush tits. Sure enough, when we looked it up, this is the kind of nest they make.
Bush tits are tiny, and yet they can carry the materials and create this nest, which is about seven or eight inches long. I'm always amazed at how birds make their nests every year.
The opening is at the top, on the side facing away from the sun.
Nature amazes me.

11 comments:

  1. I had never seen a bush tit nest until I came to Oregon, and I'm still amazed by them.

    The other thing I'd never seen were those large hornet nests. I don't think they're wasps. The kind where they grind wood with their saliva and make beautifl hand made paper nests. I'm really in awe of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! And we had 12 inches of snow yesterday! In Arkansas! Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nature amazes me, too! Everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. spring helps us feel gratitude for the beauty of nature and this world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working in the yard is cheap therepy for me! We had rain and cold winds yesterday, I'll have to wait a little, but we did weed and cleaned up the planters last week.
    Enjoy your beautiful yard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bushtits visit my suet feeder, sometimes in huge flocks, so they cover the whole thing. And they make the cutest little buzzy sound, too! Someone once said to me that their name is the bane of every high school science teacher who has to tell the kids about them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool, Linda. I have no idea what a bush tit even looks like. I have heard of a tit though... just not a bush tit. Fabulous photos! I love spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES, nature is awesome! Thanks for the beautiful photos, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your photos of flowers Linda, specially the hyacinths which do have a powerful but lovely smell. Enjoyed seeing the bush tit's nest too. Facinating for such a small bird. - dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..you really are into spring. Beautiful and that nest is so interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you found that nest! I hope you get some shots of the babies too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.